MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

GPO5 - Tell Me What you Want, What You Really Really Want

Music and technology related discussion

Re: GPO5 - Tell Me What you Want, What You Really Really Wan

Postby Gary Garritan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:09 pm

It is great to see these contributions.

Thanks Gary A, Matt, Randy, Derrek, Jetcopy, Fabio, Marce, and Art. These are excellent suggestions and just the kind of input we were looking for.

There's a good possibility you'll see many of these suggestions happen.

If anyone else has ideas of suggestions please let me know.

Thanks again,

Gary

Gary Garritan

Postby SysExJohn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:36 am

Thank you so much for asking, Gary,

It's made my day!
Well, how to follow that list? A huge plus one for all that others have requested.
Especially strings. Solo, small group capability, e.g. divisi into two, three four.
One more cello please, there's a piece I'm sequencing that needs four soloists.
And all that's been said with controllable vibrato by others.

Violoncello piccolo - I sequence Bach cantata arias, and a viola da gamba, if you'd be so good.
Oboe di caccia too, please, ditto. I currently modify the cor anglais which just suffices.
(Baroque oboe, oboe d'amore, cor anglais and wooden flutes. If possible. I know, how often would they be used! Every day by me. My wife is a classically trained operatic mezzo, and of German origin. Bach cantatas are an everyday occurrence!)

Presetting of instrument levels for orchestral balance would be a nice added feature.
More controls in GPO, the like of JABB, especially in the woodwind section.

The comment about the instrument browser in ARIA is a valid one. I can't count the number of times I've gone to load an instrument and had to do it twice through too rapid mouse movement. I know, I have to learn to be more precise! ;) Look, I'm 68, and it's much too late to teach old dogs new tricks.

It would be nice to have all the key switches in one place, e.g. in the lowest bass section for most, and above for e.g. contrabass and contra bassoon, but consistent. I keep forgetting the 'range' of an instrument and have to play until I get it correct. EWQLSO has it 'right' IMHO.

I know there may have to be a 'legacy' option (or 'play live' option), just as there is a 'notation' option with separate XMl files to implement them, but it 'ain't rocket science'! ;) And I understand that the notation option does work more in the fashion I'm requesting (plus moving legato to CC#68).

Can all the key switch patches be included in KS section of the keyboard, with the above suggestion included it ought to allow more room, i.e. greater than one octave available,
to have the whole set (the current manual is incorrect here). Personally I put all the key switches on another track to the same channel so they don't intrude into the notation, but I find it frustrating to have to load the short notes separately, with strings, for very fast passages.

More string articulations please.

In the manual, some more detail about how to use, both physically and in sequencing, some key switch articulations e.g. tremolo strings. E.g. do I need to use the legato controller whilst playing a single note tremolo, should the notes overlap or not? How effective is note velocity on attack with tremolo? Ditto e.g. trills?

GPO4 is my 'go to' library for virtually everything but, from time to time, I do find myself very frustrated with it. I love it's quick load times, small footprint, high degree of consistency, and undoubtedly, price! Plus the ability to roll up one's sleeves and experiment with the sfx code.

I own all the ARIA libraries except, to date, the CFX. Funds are slowly accumulating though.

Thank you so much for asking.
Kind regards,
John.

Last edited by SysExJohn on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Wlgold » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:04 am

How about dumping the GPO4 Steinway piano and replacing it with the GAS Basic one? That was quite a decent piano and apparently isn't being sold anymore. Those for whom something high end makes sense could still purchase CFX.

Wlgold

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments, Windows7

Postby Ron. » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 am

It seems to me I get asked this every few years and my answer has always been the same: more string techniques. (I see from the above that many agree with me.) When I played violin I had (very thick) book with hundreds of bowing techniques, yet we are offered only a handful of them in sample libraries.

BTW, I was among the first to use GPO with Finale 10 years ago and corresponded fairly often with Gary then. I am still among the top supporters and promoters of the Garritan libraries and Finale.

Ron.

Software Owned:
Finale 2014c; GPO4, JABB3, C0MB2, GIO, Basic Steinway, World Instruments, Plogue Free Sounds, GiFF.

Postby Ron. » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 am

Oh, and this is sort of off topic, but, please, please, pretty please, pressure MakeMusic to assign a developer for a day or two to fixing the percussion sound maps so that they are complete and accurate. The same company owns both products, so there is no excuse for this sorry state of affairs.

Ron.

Software Owned:
Finale 2014c; GPO4, JABB3, C0MB2, GIO, Basic Steinway, World Instruments, Plogue Free Sounds, GiFF.

Postby Michel R.E. » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:30 am

I'll second, or third, or how ever high we are by now, improvement to the strings.
For my needs, I actually find the woodwinds perfectly fine. (though the clarinet and bassoon were recorded too loudly compared to the other woodwinds).
the brass could use some punch. they tend to be a bit too subdued.
The same goes for the percussion.

but STRINGS, man, the strings need at least the BARE minimum of advanced techniques!
harmonics
col legno
bartok pizz.

don't make GPO so huge and such a resource hog that it requires a 2nd computer to run. but come on, adding 3 techniques to the strings can't take up that much memory or tax a computer that heavily?

Michel R.E.

Postby cbeckwith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:52 am

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the excellent input! Keep the suggestions coming!

Best Regards,
Chad

cbeckwith

Postby keithsw » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:32 am

I'm on a never ending quest for better (read "realistic") brass sounds without having to do a lot of manipulation in the DAW and that are reasonably priced. We can't expect a $300 package to sound like a $5000 package, but, we can wish.

Keith Walls

keithsw

Postby KMFrye » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:34 pm

Gary- I'd like to see a better method for dealing with orchestral percussion. Snares, basses, tam-tams, cymbals, etc. I work 95%+ in Finale, and placing the notation in the correct place on the percussion staff is always an adventure! It would be nice if everything was a little clearer.

Another small note- the brass, particularly the trumpets. I echo the above sentiments about their brilliance, and also must note that there is not a lot of variation between 1st, 2nd and 3rd KS solos. I did a version of "Bugler's Holiday" a while back and used all three solo trumpets, but it did take a lot of tweaking to make the instruments sound distinct from each other.

Thanks for listening!!

KM Frye
BVStudios
Composer, Arranger, Performer
Living on the Wild, West Coast.
current work- "Culloden:1746", an oratorio, using
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
PM since 2001, Finale 2014.5,
Garritan Personal Orchestra IV
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
Reaper DAW

Postby tedvanya » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:59 am

Please, please, please!

Strings, strings, strings!

Vibrato control. Sweeter sound.

Need serious work on cellos and base too.

Ted

tedvanya

PreviousNext