MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Library Updates?

Music and technology related discussion

Library Updates?

Postby kastra » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi All :) ,

I've had something of a hiatus from writing and attending the forums over the last couple of years due to technical (ie hardware) issues and other commitments, but I'm now back up and running with (hopefully) a capable rig, and I'm working actively on projects again :D .

I've checked my MM/Garritan account profile, this forum, NS and Google without any real result, so thought I'd better check here to see if any updates have been released officially for my installed libraries (see profile - afaik these are all as last downloaded in 2011)?

The reason I ask is that some issues have arisen with GWI and I was wondering if they had already been fixed. If not, then I'll follow up accordingly but if there are updates out there that I need to catch up on, please let me know how to access them (and disregard the idiot who was about to reinvent the wheel! :mrgreen: )

TIA

Regards,

Keith

kastra

Software Owned:
GPO5.01
GPO4.02
JABB3
GWI
Finale 2014.5
REAPER 5+
Sforzando

Re: Library Updates?

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:00 am

Hi Keith,

Yes there have been updates, not to the libraries, but to the ARIA player, which fix some of the playback issues that there were with some of the libraries.

Take yourself over to here: http://ariaengine.com/support/aria-engine-update/ and download the ARIA engine update, but don't apply it yet. On that page it tells you where you can download the latest version of the ARIA player, version 1.620 at time of writing. Download that version and install it. Then apply the engine update. You should find that that solves issues with GWI playback. If not, then contact Garritan support.

Added later:
Correction, for ARIA 1.620, log into your account on the main Garritan page (or via "Garritan" at the top right of this page). Then click on "support", towards the foot of the page on the left is "product updates" click on the "download" button. If you select "Garritan" as the Product and "aria" as the Name then search, you'll have the Windows and Mac versions to download.

It's what I'm using and it works fine for me.

Good luck.
Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby kastra » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:38 am

Hi John :) ,
Thanks a lot for the info. In fact, my Aria Player is up to date (1.620), but I've now updated to the latest Engine (1.719) just to be sure.

My main reason for asking about updates was that a couple of issues arose in Galandar's thread in "Tips" ("Real Sound for Celtic Fiddle") that needed fixing and I didn't want to reinvent the wheel. I've now uploaded the new Fiddle file to my box.net account *here*, so the remainder of this post should really be regarded as "To Whom It May Concern ..."

The folder link above actually points to two instrument files as follows:
Fiddle.sfz: This is the file referred to above. Portamento wasn't operational on the instrument, due to the fact that the portamento coding seemed to have been inserted practically everywhere except where it was supposed to be (ie the legato sections) :? ! A bit of cut and paste seems now to have resolved the issue!
(Original file location: "...\Garritan\World Instruments\Instruments\Strings\Europe\")
Violas KS.sfz: This is a "fix" file for a GPO4 issue that arose a few years back in the NS Forum. The OP on that occasion had attempted to slur a pizzicato phrase (a dangerous thing to do in polite company ... :mrgreen: ) and was surprised to find the sound muted! I tracked the problem down to mis-applied auto-legato coding and a simple edit "fixed" it. Considering the somewhat obscure context, however, I'd say that this wasn't so much a "bug fix" as a "mug trap" (or is that just an age thing? ;) )!
(Original file location: "...\Garritan\Personal Orchestra 4\Instruments\8.Section Strings\3.Violas\")

Caveat emptor! The above files were created using comparison to known working files, cut and paste, logic, and a little "educated" guesswork! So far as I can ascertain, the instruments affected now appear to be working correctly but these were "quick fixes". I do not consider myself to be an sfz programmer, let alone an expert on the subject, so I'd suggest that these and other issues deserve attention from a real sfz programmer - not just an aging hack like yours truly! Under the circumstances, I'd suggest strongly that you follow backup procedures as shown below.

File Instructions
1. (-ahem-) Download the appropriate file to your downloads folder
2. Locate the corresponding original location (as detailed above) and backup the original file (eg by changing the file extension to ".old")
3. Copy the downloaded file into the above location.
The above steps are for Windows users, but I'd guess that the referenced folder structures and procedures would be similar on Mac. Users of Vista and later may need admin rights.

Finally, an issue that had me baffled for a while. Many experienced notation users may already be aware of it (or the info may already be "out there"), but I thought it worthwhile to mention it in case there were any like me who weren't:
World Instrument Notation Keyswitches
From page 15 of the User Guide:
"Keyswitches—All notation version keyswitches consistently reside in the bottom octave of the MIDI spec (between C-2 and B-2) for all instruments. "
This appears to be a common insert in all of the library User Guides. In the case of World, however, I'm afraid it's not true!

For earlier libraries, the "Banks" folder contained numerous notation bank files, each of which contained bank info for instruments that shared common pitch ranges (eg violins, violas, cellos etc.), and each bank file contained a macro definition for setting the appropriate notation keyswitch octave offset (-2 for cellos, -3 for violins etc.). In World, there is only one notation bank file for all 400 instruments, and therefore only one offset setting of -2!! This means that all notation keyswitches, regardless of instrument, will be found 2 octaves below the "standard" keyswitches for that instrument. As an example, the notation version of the "sus+short" keyswitch for the World Fiddle will be found at C-1 (code 12) and not C-2 (code 0) as stated in the User Guide.

If you've survived reading the above interminable screed, then respect is due 8-) - but I hope it will help in navigating at least some of the mazes to be found in this wonderful world of sample libraries :roll: !

Regards,
Keith

kastra

Software Owned:
GPO5.01
GPO4.02
JABB3
GWI
Finale 2014.5
REAPER 5+
Sforzando

Postby SysExJohn » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:33 am

Ageing hack? Me too!

I'll take a good look at the sfz files myself. Many thanks for those.
I'm working on a few myself. Swapping some trills for short bows in KS sfz's. More later.

I'm really familiar with the layout of the libraries, so no need to post all the details for me.
But it's a good idea for others who may be less conversant. Plus all the caveats.

I'll come back to this post in a while with further comments, meanwhile duty calls ... and Mozart! Una donna di quindici anni. My wife's a professional, classically trained mezzo-soprano.

Question: How can one slur a pizzicato?
The laws of physics don't permit it, unless I'm much mistaken.
Maybe the slur mark indicates arpeggiation?

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.