MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Piano is here!

Music and technology related discussion

Re: Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Piano is h

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 am

BrianR wrote:Would it be possible, please, to have details of the settings (i.e. in sections 'piano', 'studio', 'advanced') used for the demos ? I particularly liked the Liszt demo :)

Brian

Sure!

Blackbird uses the preset "Edward's Reflection" from the Player perspective. The close mic pair is muted, leaving only the KU-100 (dummy head) engaged.

Liszt Liebestraum uses the preset "Solo Piano 1" from the Classic perspective. This is paired with a customized velocity curve to really bring out the sweet intimacy of the piece. I'd be happy to share the customized curve!

Brighton Rock uses the preset "Brighton Rock" from the Contemporary perspective. This preset has some EQ tweaks to the high end and a lighter velocity curve to make things a little livelier...

Rain or Shine uses the default setting for the Classic perspective. No extras!

House Party uses the "Glimmer" preset from the Classic perspective. No alterations to it except a smidge more saturation than comes standard on the preset.

Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# this uses the default setting for the Contemporary perspective and a customized velocity curve to bring out some that woody growl.

Happy Scamper uses the preset "Dark Cinema" from the classic perspective, instruments from Instant Orchestra and a flute from GPO4.

Fuga in C minor uses the preset "Soft Player" from the player perspective. A generous splash of ambiance from room and the soft pedal give the piece a lush and intimate flavor.

Don't let the Piano In uses 2 pianos. The ethereal piano that sounds like the scrape of strings and the doorbell is the preset "Wendyhouse" from the player perspective. A Scala tuning, "carlos_alpha24" divides the octave into 24 parts, giving an interesting sound. The other piano "crashing" the bass end is the default setting from the Notation perspective. The string trills are courtesy of Instant Orchestra.

Leaf uses the preset "Newman Beauty" from the Contemporary perspective with a couple adjustments to the velocity curve and EQ.

Hope this helps! A full list of presets and descriptions can be found here:
http://www.garritan.com/products/cfx-co ... -benefits/

Cheers!

Fred @ MakeMusic

Postby BrianR » Thu May 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks Fred, yes that was helpfull.

I have arrived at what seems to be a good velocity curve setting for my keyboard (I am using my Yamaha CVP609) and I very much like the sound.

I also like the "connectivity" with the finger contact on the keys and indeed I can replicate the sound in the demos from the presets as described.

Brian

BrianR

Postby BrianR » Fri May 30, 2014 10:48 pm

Unfortunately there is no half pedaling / proportional pedaling.

( note from the Garritan Blog "Currently half-pedaling is slated for a future update.")

IMHO this is an unwelcome omission, and surprising, given the "flagship" status of Yamaha's CFX.

Many may agree that the use of pedaling is integral to piano technique.

May I respectfully ask if MakeMusic and/or Garritan Abbey Road Studios can say when the "future update" with the pedaling implimentation will be ?

Thanks again,

Brian

Brian

BrianR

Postby SysExJohn » Sat May 31, 2014 3:41 am

BrianR wrote:Unfortunately there is no half pedaling / proportional pedaling.

( note from the Garritan Blog "Currently half-pedaling is slated for a future update.")

IMHO this is an unwelcome omission, and surprising, given the "flagship" status of Yamaha's CFX.

May I respectfully ask if MakeMusic and/or Garritan Abbey Road Studios can say when the "future update" with the pedaling implimentation will be ?

Thanks again,

Brian

You're quite right Brian, this is a MAJOR omission from a so-called flagship product.

I find it absolutely amazing that they could put the library out with this hole in it.

Hopefully Fred will come back with some positive news about its imminent release.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby absolutpiano » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:54 am

Could you please tell us about round robin ?
It seems on the Blackbird song that the first repeated note use 2 different sample as round robin.
If I keep repeating a same note, how many round robin do you have before having the gun effect ?
Thanks a lot for your giving us a little bit more information on that subject.
Absolutpiano

absolutpiano

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:23 am

BrianR wrote:Unfortunately there is no half pedaling / proportional pedaling.

Thanks again,

Brian

Brian

Hey Brian

Unfortunately I can't talk about the specifics of timing, but I can say we are working hard to update and include this functionality as soon as is possible. We also want it sooner than later!

Cheers

Fred

Fred @ MakeMusic

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:48 am

absolutpiano wrote:Could you please tell us about round robin ?
It seems on the Blackbird song that the first repeated note use 2 different sample as round robin.
If I keep repeating a same note, how many round robin do you have before having the gun effect ?
Thanks a lot for your giving us a little bit more information on that subject.
Absolutpiano

Good morning-

Due to the sheer number of samples in simultaneous availability (over 16,000), the number of layers (20) and the proprietary technology used to graduate the timbre and cross-fade between them, round robins are not a part of the architecture.

Cheers!

Fred

Fred @ MakeMusic

Postby DannyS » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 am

In relation,being a musician expertly sounds like a pretty sweet idea for many people. Concerts, the road and some think, a ton of money. However, it isn't much of a living, even for bands that get a ton of attention, as the cost of touring is over the top. Resource for this article:
https://personalmoneynetwork.com/

DannyS

Postby David Young » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 pm

I noticed that the CFX Concert Grand Piano requires quite a bit of hard drive real estate to be installed. My hard drives are getting somewhat full. How does the Grand Piano work if installed onto an external hard drive? Say, with usb connection? I have an Apple Pro Desktop about 4 years old.

David Young

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 am

Hey David-
The CFX works pretty well of external drive, but connection speed is critical.I have the CFX running at my home studio off of a USB3 connection on a 7200 RPM drive and it does well. I haven't had much experience with it on USB2, but I think there might be more potential for drop outs with the full piano version, especially if the platter speed of the drive is below 7200. RAM and processor speed will also play a factor in performance; the more the better. If you can have room to run a Firewire 800 SSD drive from your Mac Pro (or a HD with a 7200 platter speed), this would probably be the best way to go.

Fred @ MakeMusic

PreviousNext