MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Piano is here!

Music and technology related discussion

Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Piano is here!

Postby Gary Garritan » Mon May 12, 2014 7:48 am

I am very pleased to announce the release of the Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Piano.

You may be wondering "why another piano library?" amongst the many that are available. The simple answer is that someone needed to take the virtual piano to a whole new level.

What if a stunning new model of concert grand piano can be recorded, one that took Yamaha twenty years to develop, and one that has not been offered as a software instrument before? What if the best recording could be made at the most legendary studio in the world, with the best equipment, and the best engineers? What if things were done in software and technology that have not been done before that would make this instrument incredibly realistic and beyond anything that has been done before? MakeMusic has made these "what ifs" a reality with the Garritan Abbey Road CFX.

Those who have heard this new instrument have been amazed. Some did not want to leave their keyboards and became almost addicted to the experience. This new instrument has even exceeded my expectations.

The Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Piano can now be yours to enjoy. View the press release and visit Garritan.com to learn more about this incredible new instrument.

All the best, always
Gary Garritan

Gary Garritan

Re: Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand Piano is h

Postby Sergiobklyn » Mon May 12, 2014 8:09 am

Will there be a deal for Garritan Steinway owners?
Thanks,
Sergio

Sergiobklyn

Postby keithsw » Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 am

Same question...
Thanks,
Keith

keithsw

Postby KMFrye » Mon May 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Gary, I hope you are reading these; I have listened to the demos, and yes, the word I have in mind is "wow". But please know that I have concerns about the size and price point of this offering. It is simply - HUGE- and I would need to add a new hard drive just to be able to support it. But more than that, I worry about the price point, which is very close to double that of your other current offerings.

To me, as a long-time user and also a subscriber to your (revolutionary) view that a first-class digital orchestra can be assembled in a compact form for a reasonable price, yet still wow both amateur and professional users enough that it is used in pro studios and on blockbuster movie soundtracks, the release of this product appears to be a step away from your long-held position that bigger isn't necessarily better.

In all sincerity, I hope that the CFX Concert Grand is not a signal of the future direction of Garritan, and hope future new releases return to the original Garritan "Bigger is not always better" concept. As it is, and because this would require a hardware upgrade costing about the same as the product, I shall have to give it a pass for now.

And that's disappointing. I am a piano player.

KM Frye
BVStudios
Composer, Arranger, Performer
Living on the Wild, West Coast.
current work- "Culloden:1746", an oratorio, using
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
PM since 2001, Finale 2014.5,
Garritan Personal Orchestra IV
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
Reaper DAW

Postby hospitanten » Tue May 13, 2014 12:53 am

I'm waiting for the download version!

thanks
Roger

hospitanten

Re: Steinway question

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Wed May 14, 2014 8:57 am

Hey Keith and Sergio

At this time we will regretfully not be able to offer Garritan Steinway owners a special rate to purchase the CFX Concert Grand.

Thanks

Fred

Fred @ MakeMusic

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Thu May 15, 2014 9:25 am

KMFrye wrote:Gary, I hope you are reading these; I have listened to the demos, and yes, the word I have in mind is "wow". But please know that I have concerns about the size and price point of this offering. It is simply - HUGE- and I would need to add a new hard drive just to be able to support it. But more than that, I worry about the price point, which is very close to double that of your other current offerings.

To me, as a long-time user and also a subscriber to your (revolutionary) view that a first-class digital orchestra can be assembled in a compact form for a reasonable price, yet still wow both amateur and professional users enough that it is used in pro studios and on blockbuster movie soundtracks, the release of this product appears to be a step away from your long-held position that bigger isn't necessarily better.

In all sincerity, I hope that the CFX Concert Grand is not a signal of the future direction of Garritan, and hope future new releases return to the original Garritan "Bigger is not always better" concept. As it is, and because this would require a hardware upgrade costing about the same as the product, I shall have to give it a pass for now.

And that's disappointing. I am a piano player.

Hey KMFrye-

I understand your concerns about the size and price point of the CFX Concert Grand. This product does reflect a departure in that is was recorded and developed in full partnership with Abbey Road Studios. The pricepoint and footprint of the product both reflect the sheer size of technical investment in every detail necessary to achieve the undeniable "Wow" that this instrument inspires. The CFX, however, simply isn't big for "big" sake; with the best studio, piano and technical team available anywhere, we endeavored to create the very best virtual piano possible. Period. "Bigger isn't always better" is still true and will always be a part of the Garritan DNA.

It is also a critical part of Garritan to be inclusive to as many musicians as possible and size has practical considerations; this is a good point, well made! To ensure the CFX can function in as many system environments as possible, we did configure a "Compact" install which has a considerably smaller footprint than the "Full" version, weighing in at 24.5GB. All the perspectives and presets are still represented. In this version we went as "light" as it was possible to go without compromising the depth, character or expressiveness of the piano. Additionally, installed with either size configuration, we have a special uber-light 2-channel "Notation" version of all three piano perspectives to ensure optimal performance in as many settings as possible such as large scores or with many other simultaneous plug-ins.

The CFX Concert Grand really does epitomize Garritan's dedication to accessibility and excellence. Few would have access to Yamaha's phenomenal CFX concert grand piano, let alone the opportunity to record in Abbey Road Studios' historic Studio One with the greatest technicians and recording equipment in the world. Gary has made this possible for everyone.

Also as a piano player, it's the only virtual piano that I have heard that competes with a little red keyboard that I have and love...

Cheers!

Fred

Fred @ MakeMusic

Postby fratveno » Thu May 15, 2014 10:37 am

Hi!

if the demos are anything to go by, sonically, this may very well be the ultimate virtual piano, and as such worth every cent. What I find a bit puzzling is that there are no introductory offers for existing Garritan users or early birds. This is the rule, rather than the exception, with almost every developer these days. Ears and taste differ a lot, and the competition is fierce. Also, Garritan has a history of withdrawing excellent VIs from the market, so I think it would be a wise move to show some appreciation to loyal customers.

sincerely,
frank n. (plays the piano for a living)

fratveno

Postby BrianR » Sun May 25, 2014 6:19 am

Would it be possible, please, to have details of the settings (i.e. in sections 'piano', 'studio', 'advanced') used for the demos ? I particularly liked the Liszt demo :)

Brian

BrianR

Postby Wlgold » Sun May 25, 2014 10:19 am

I just noticed something when I went to listen to the CFX samples... there's a list of products on the right hand side of the page. Conspicuous by its absence is Garritan Authorized Steinway. That's too bad; it was pretty high quality at an affordable price. I guess they come and they go....

-Mark

Wlgold

Software Owned:
Finale 2012c, GPO 4, JABB 3, Garritan Steinway Basic, Garritan World Instruments, Windows7

Next