MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

What would you like to see next Garritan product be?

Music and technology related discussion

What would you like to see next Garritan product be?

Postby greyfox73 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:31 am

I haven't been here on this forum nearly enough, so I thought I'd start a new topic and get some discussion going.

What new product would you like to see come from Garritan? An updated version of GPO? The ever elusive string library? A brass library? A choir library?

What's everyone's thoughts?

Gary A.

greyfox73

Software Owned:
GPO4, JABB3, COMB2, World Instruments, Instant Orchestra, Garritan GoFriller Solo Cello, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, Finale 2011, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Re: What would you like to see next Garritan product be?

Postby Dean L. Surkin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 am

Gary:
I've been using Vocaloid to create background vocal parts in Sonar. I would love to see a Garritan competitor to Vocaloid.

Dean L. Surkin
Garritan GPO, J&BB, Finale 2014, Sonar X3
Computer: Intel i7-4770K; 32 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit
Yamaha KX76, Kawai MP8, and my true love, Steinway A104030
Dean L. Surkin

Postby kingfreeze » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:03 am

I would like a sound fx library, comparable to warner brothers ,

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Daniel Bendshadler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:25 pm

There used to be an interesting poll in the lower left corner of the Garritan web a couple years ago and still visible through the waaaaay back machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/201302130002 ... ritan.com/

There seemed to be really heavy interest in a choir library and advanced string library. Only token interest in a pipe organ library or yet another piano library. But such are polls.

Myself, I've always been hoping to see the elusive advanced string library. The resurrection of the old GOS library with fully flushed out sections and a quintet of first chair soloist (Oh to have vibrato control!) Something with clean Garritan style key-switching without a ridiculous set of 20 some-odd instruments to cover each articulation. Something that can leave some resources left over for the rest of the orchestra on my humble 8GB machine. Something that trades having limitless programming options for just sounding beautiful. Something < $400-500 for the whole package without a maze of upgrade modules to decode or some non-value-added $70 security key wasting space on my laptop's limited number of USB plugs as an extra tax for having the privilege to throw money at you.

All of these elements of this sort of library have already been achieved in existing string libraries, but none in the same package. Garritan can be the one to do it!

Daniel Bendshadler

Software Owned:
GPO, IO, JABB, COMB, World, FL Studio

Postby SysExJohn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:45 am

How eloquently you have phrased it, Daniel.

An advanced Garritan String Library is definitely top of my request list. Choir to follow.

I wouldn't mind if it came as a set of packages where the lesser used articulations could be added as funds allowed. (Living off a pension somewhat restricts my purchasing power.)
Starting at the usual price and with some good longevity.
I bought the basic Steinway, fulling intending to upgrade it, but it was snatched away before I could do that.

Regards,
John.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby greyfox73 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:56 am

An advanced Garritan String Library is definitely top of my request list. Choir to follow.

The ever elusive String Library. I sure do wish it would appear sooner rather than later. I finally bit the bullet and bought the EastWest Library Gold Edition last week. Couldn't afford it but I did it anyway. The strings are wonderful. Much as I love all my Garritan libraries, the strings are a big improvement. I will continue to use all my Garritan libraries. I love the woodwinds, they are great.

I would love to see a Garritan choir library. Many years ago Gary let some of us call him on a Memorial Day just to chat for about 10 minutes. I was fortunate enough to get through and had a nice talk. He demoed for me a recording they did of a future choir library they hoped to have out soon. It was amazing. Unfortunately, nothing ever came of it. That was before ARIA player as I recall. Maybe something will come from that sometime in the future. We can always hope.

Gary A.

greyfox73

Software Owned:
GPO4, JABB3, COMB2, World Instruments, Instant Orchestra, Garritan GoFriller Solo Cello, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, Finale 2011, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Postby gogreen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:02 am

New products? Sure, the addition of new products is aimed at increasing revenue and perhaps expanding the market base. However, before spending resources on new products, normalize all of the Garritan libraries, especially GPO4 and COMB2--some of the samples are much softer than others. Some are far too loud. I also think the Aria player's bugs need to be fixed. The attacks of most COMB2 instruments, for instance, are way too hard, and they need to be fixed and normalized across the libraries. In addition, your time and resources are better spent coordinating Garritan products with Finale products.

Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby MusicalHart24 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 pm

kingfreeze wrote:I would like a sound fx library, comparable to warner brothers ,

I agree. I would love a SFX library. Although, an All-Percussion library, with SFX, would be awesome. Stuff you hear in film scores; anvils, cymbal scrapes, other SFX, etc...

Christopher C. Hart
Composer
https://soundcloud.com/cchmusic
https://www.youtube.com/user/musiccreator24

M-Audio Keystation 61es
M-Audio M-Track Interface
M-Audio BX5 D2 Studio Monitors
ASRock-AMD FX 8-core, 4.4GHz
32GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
MusicalHart24

Software Owned:
Cakewalk Sonar X3 Studio
EastWest Symphonic Choirs
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
Garritan Instant Orchestra
Garritan World Instruments

Postby Eisengrim » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:34 pm

There are a few improvements I'd like to see to existing libraries -- actual harmonics in the strings, for instance -- but my biggest wish would have to be for a choir library.

Not being adept at technological wizardry, I use Garritan exclusively in Finale, and the choir is the biggest fault I find in the sounds available there. You can create a pretty decent orchestral sound there -- I'm not producing perfect mp3s, just listening to my scores, but everything choral is just... well, embarassing. Especially if you're got a choir singing along with the orchestra. Not least because the slightly better choir sounds have ludicrously small ranges and so you end up using the not-as-good patches.

So an easily-integratable choir library would be nice, ideally with some form of keyswitching available for changing syllables. Nothing too ornate -- it doesn't need to be on the level, of, say, EW's Symphonic Choirs (whose word building is quite impressive -- the 'Glory to the Knight' sample is kind of jaw-dropping, actually, even if the intonation is rather weird), but at least getting to choose vowels. Anything more elaborate would probably have to be developed in tandem with Finale, which would likely have to design a new Choir View in the style of the Studio View. So we'd probably end up with a Finale for Choirs that could be integrated into full Finale for extra money. (And if this ends up being what happens, you're all witnesses that I'm owed royalties on this.)

What I particularly hope, though, is that Garritan realises that there's a huge hole in the market to be filled, one that they're particularly well-suited to plug given how integrated they are with Finale. I don't know what Garritan's share of the market looks like when you remove Finale users from the equation, but I imagine it's a fairly vertiginous drop, so there's a base to be placated there. And Finale is extremely common for education and community users. All the good choir packages I've come across, on the other hand, are geared towards huge video game and cinematic sounds.

So I hope Garritan will notice the place for a chamber choir. I was very disappointed when I found out that Soundiron's Micro Choir wasn't actually a small choir, just not-as-much of the big one. Instead of sampling a 60-voice cinematic choir like Soundiron did, go and record a 20-voice choir like the Elmer Iseler Singers or someone, and the local choir directors of the world will be grovelling at Garritan's feet. Something that could do a creditable (if wordless) rendition of, say, a Palestrina mass, Mozart's Ave Verum, Fauré's Cantique de Jean Racine, a few folk song arrangements, and let's say Zadoc the Priest and the Hallelujah chorus for volume control, would be a huge attraction. None of the other packages I've come across can manage that. (Maybe they can and just don't put out samples of them, but the Vienna Choir's attempt at Palestrina leaves me sceptical. Still too loud.)

Of course, on top of that I'd like a library of 9 soloists (coloratura soprano, lyrical soprano, mezzo, alto, countertenor, heldentenor, lyrical tenor, baritone and bass), but now I'm just getting greedy. Here too, things don't need to be as elaborate as Soundiron's 'Voices of Rapture' series -- it would just be nice to be able to properly distinguish between the choir and the soloist.

All of these, of course, would have to have reasonable, real-life ranges. And ideally the development team would include an actual real-world choral director as opposed to a bunch of people going 'I wanna be able to do the Lord of the Rings soundtrack with this!'

Eisengrim

Postby Ron. » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:46 pm

STRINGS! They are the core of an orchestra and it's a bloody shame that Garritan doesn't offer more of the common techniques used in the modern orchestra. Genuine harmonics and col legno are essential. Sul ponitcello would be nice, as well as sul tasto and vibrato control. Go for it. Outdo VSL!

Ron.

Software Owned:
Finale 2014c; GPO4, JABB3, C0MB2, GIO, Basic Steinway, World Instruments, Plogue Free Sounds, GiFF.

Next