MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

IO Plus GPO = Icing on the cake?

Music and technology related discussion

IO Plus GPO = Icing on the cake?

Postby Rob W Jackson » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I currently have IO and I love it - only used it on a couple of little projects so far but I'm hooked and plan to do some original pieces. So, IO is really (and I mean REALLY) great for fleshing ideas out quickly, and I'm already very impressed with how real everything can sound. I guess that's what it was designed for - TV guys and games stuff on a tight deadline!

So, I'm thinking once I've got the basis of a piece more or less there with IO, would GPO allow me to add more detail and realism here and there? I'm hoping it might be analogous to the finer brush strokes in a landscape painting.

I don't think I've the patience or skill to start from scratch building ensembles with GPO, hence my purchase of IO, but I'm now thinking that if I were to spend an extra couple of hours on a piece layering up some individual GPO instruments, perhaps it would be the musical icing on my cakes? :-)

Is this a common approach with any of you who own both libraries? If so, I'd be really grateful for any tips you're willing to share.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. -Rob

Rob W Jackson

Software Owned:
Garritan GPO 4
Garritan IO
Garritan JABB 3

MultiTrackStudio 7.6

Re: IO Plus GPO = Icing on the cake?

Postby rbowser » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Rob W Jackson wrote:...I currently have IO and I love it...I'm thinking once I've got the basis of a piece more or less there with IO, would GPO allow me to add more detail and realism here and there?...I'm now thinking that if I were to spend an extra couple of hours on a piece layering up some individual GPO instruments, perhaps it would be the musical icing on my cakes?...

Hello, Rob - Your thinking is absolutely right, that GPO will add more detail and realism to your music. But I think the situation is actually the other way around - IO is the musical icing on the cake while GPO makes up the more substantial, complex cake itself.

IO is fun, and good for big, broad sketches that sound good, but can actually be driven by just a few, simple MIDI tracks. GPO is the full classical orchestra, with all the soloists as well as ensembles. It has the meat and potatoes of composition that you need now.

I think you've sold yourself on the idea of getting GPO, and I totally endorse that idea. Now I'm predicting that what you'll find is that IO will be providing something analogous to the colorful impressionist background of a painting, and GPO will be providing the foreground detail that makes it vivid and gives it depth.

Go for it!

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Rob W Jackson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:19 am

Now I'm predicting that what you'll find is that IO will be providing something analogous to the colorful impressionist background of a painting, and GPO will be providing the foreground detail that makes it vivid and gives it depth.

Thanks Randy - that's what I was hoping. I think your painting analogy works better than my original "cake concept" :-)

I've gone for it! Looking forward to doing some "painting" this afternoon... :-)

Rob W Jackson

Software Owned:
Garritan GPO 4
Garritan IO
Garritan JABB 3

MultiTrackStudio 7.6

Postby SysExJohn » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 am

I endorse Randy's opinion 100%. He's captured it in a nutshell.

I find myself using GPO most of the time for the music I produce and occasionally dipping into IO for some 'special effects'. But then I learnt on GPO, not the other way round. So maybe it's a matter of familiarity.

Author of http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/ MIDI tutorials.
SysExJohn

Software Owned:
Sonar 7 PE, Finale 2012c, GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, World, CPO, Harps, Steinway Basic + GPO5.

Postby Rob W Jackson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:25 am

Thanks SysExJohn.

I sat down to start a project, then really just ended up doing a fairly detailed exploration of the GPO sounds (WOW!) and more or less came to the conclusion that I'd take a similar approach to you - with a (really wild guess) an 80 / 20 split between GPO / IO. I'll probably still lean on the sections rather than individual instruments to begin with though I think... Guess it depends on the music.

I already have a tune in mind called (dubiously) "Papa was a Secret Agent"... :-)

Rob W Jackson

Software Owned:
Garritan GPO 4
Garritan IO
Garritan JABB 3

MultiTrackStudio 7.6