MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Needing to constantly log on

Needing to constantly log on

Postby rbowser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 am

In case this isn't intended behavior, I wanted to mention it as possibly something to fix on the Forum:

I'm getting email notifications when there are new replies, but invariably I'm asked to log on before I can see the new post. Cookies are being handled differently than on other bulletin boards I'm used to. Here at this Forum, I can just click "log on" without filling out info, and I'm on - But after doing that, I'm at the very front page again, and not the new post I was notified about.

And if I'm coming back on my own to look for new things, I've usually been signed out and need to log on again. So - I wonder if this is a security measure? If so, it's not really securing anything, since user data doesn't have to be typed in again-- . It seems like it could be a glitch, hence the post.

The "bread crumb" problem has already been mentioned on the "Welcome to our new forum" thread, and Fred has said that will be fixed. Until it is, there's no direct route back to the Garritan Forum page.

Also brought up is the question about BBCode. It's turned on for posts and replies, but turned off in our signatures. That's why I have a naked URL in my sig that goes to the demos of all 75 stops in Garritan Organs. Obviously with the code on, I could have had the text "Demos of all stops" be the link.

I think those are all the observations for now!

Randy B.

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Re: Needing to constantly log on

Postby Michael.B » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 am

rbowser wrote: ..... I'm getting email notifications when there are new replies, but invariably I'm asked to log on before I can see the new post. .....
Randy B.

Hello Randy,

I think I can shed some light on the above.

I actually had an email notification for one of the other threads (Hmmm .. just the one..). In this email there are 4 links. If I click on the first link then, yes, I have to login to read the post.

If I click the second link then this takes me straight to the reply without having to login. This link has the description: "If you want to view the topic, click the following link:"

This should work for you too .. I would think?

Michael.B

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 am

Hey Randy-
I passed your comments to our QA folks and we will take a deeper look- The BBCode issue seems a fairly straight forward one, but the notification/ redirect and log-in might need some looking into. An issue we had in developing the forum was that users were not getting logged out when their browser session was completed. To address privacy concerns, we tightened up this behavior. We'll see if we can cut a middle ground.

Fred @ MakeMusic

Postby rbowser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for the replies, Michael, and Fred.

Yes-I see-I was clicking the first link. The second one in the email is the one to use, since it takes me to the thread with the new post without having to log on. Good!

Fred @ MakeMusic wrote:...An issue we had in developing the forum was that users were not getting logged out when their browser session was completed. To address privacy concerns, we tightened up this behavior. We'll see if we can cut a middle ground.

Ah, OK, thanks for that, Fred. What I'm accustomed to is always being logged in on Forums, even after I close my browser. Constantly having to log on seems fiddly to me since I'm not used to it. I guess there could be a privacy concern, but I for one prefer being able to instantly go anywhere I want online, Facebook, YouTube, various bulletin boards, without having to log on each time. Whatever you guys prefer with this Forum is fine, I'll just get used to it if I have to always log on. I generally leave my browser open all day, with tabs for all sites I'm keeping track of, so it would just call for logging on once in the morning. Fine.

Thanks again. As you can see from my level of activity, I'm trying to do my bit to help bring the place to life!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby Michael.B » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45 am

I'm glad that second email link worked for you too Randy, that's one thing sorted.

rbowser wrote:Thanks again. As you can see from my level of activity, I'm trying to do my bit to help bring the place to life!
Randy

I'm with you here Randy, also trying to do my bit. ;)

Michael.B

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:58 am

Randy- the input and activity is very much appreciated sir! BBCode should now be enabled for the signatures- We're taking a look into the breadcrumbs and if we can cut a better balance between privacy and accessibility, we certainly will!
Cheers
Fred

Fred @ MakeMusic

Postby rbowser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 am

Fred @ MakeMusic wrote:Randy- the input and activity is very much appreciated sir! BBCode should now be enabled for the signatures- We're taking a look into the breadcrumbs and if we can cut a better balance between privacy and accessibility, we certainly will!
Cheers
Fred

Great, Fred - I'm a Gary Garritan camp-follower. Whither he goes, I shall follow!

Thanks for the BBCode update - I'll go fix up my signature.

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby rbowser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:14 am

rbowser wrote:...I'll go fix up my signature.

Randy

There - Much better without the nude URL hanging out.

Took a bit doing, because the process of adding a link isn't as instant as I'm used to. At NS, you just highlight text you want to turn into a link, click "Link" and in the pop-up, paste the URL. The process I just now did to edit my signature meant doing more direct typing of code, referring several times to the BBCode info page to get it right. That's because the "[URL=" tag isn't immediately available when you click URL - It's not assuming you want to use text for the visible link. No matter - I'll get used to it!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby rbowser » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:53 am

Pardon me, but I'm here to whine again. lol. Well, since it's so early in the life of the Forum, I'm hoping this kind of feedback can be helpful.

I really find it aggravating having to constantly log on. I've been trying to keep a tab open with the Forum, but it gets closed by accident, or I need more room for tabs and so I purposely close it - But then I need to log on again, as you know. If MM is really set on keeping this automatic log off - maybe it could be timed, so a user is still logged on if he returns within 15 minutes or something?

More Log on complaints: I'll be reading a post, I'll want to reply - no, can't, I forgot to log on first. So I log on--But after logging on, I'm not directed back to where I last was. I have to go through the front page again and find the thread and then the post.-- Surely at least that part can be changed -After Log on, it should take you back to where you were. That's the way log ons work at every site I can think of.

When I get email notification, clicking the second link takes me to the thread (I don't know why the first link is even there, it doesn't seem to have a useful purpose) - but once I'm at the thread, I'm not taken to the specific post the email was about. I have to scroll down, click for the second page - That's clumsy, and also unlike email notifications I'm used to. Hopefully that can be changed so the email link takes the user directly to the related post.

Also, If I'm using an email notification link, and I'm not already logged in - then we go through the hassle of what I described above. Go the thread, but since I can't respond, I go up to Log on, I get taken to the front page again, search for the thread, search for the post - Then I can post a response.-- Obviously that's too convoluted.

BBCode - I appreciate that the code is available in our sigs now. My link to the Organs demos looks much better now. But as I described on another thread, it wasn't straight-forward to make that text linkable. Right now, all that's available is the URL tag - And that's the least useful one, since a pasted address starting with http is automatically a link - the URL tag doesn't add any fuction to it. What we need is a LINK code. Type text in a post, select it, then click Link, there should be a pop-up where the URL is pasted. You close the pop up and you're done. The text is a link to a page, and of course that looks much better than just plopping the URL into a post.

To make text linkable with the tools we now have: - First, the destination URL needs to be pasted into the body of the message. We select it and click URL. That inserts the URL tags - But we have to edit the results in order to make the URL invisible, and to use linking text. We have to change the first tag to [URL= and then at the end of the address we need to add an end bracket - ] - Then, directly before the closing URL tag, we need to type in the text we want for linking.-- Obviously that should all be done with a Link tool.

So - I think I've described all that clearly enough. I hope seeing my name on a thread isn't starting to inspire eye-rolling--I'm hoping it's useful to know how a user, me, is experiencing the young Forum at this point. It'd be great if these clumsy bits of Forum navigation I'm pointing out can be fixed or improved. Thanks.

Randy B.

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby Michael.B » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:06 am

Hello Randy,

Hey, I don't think anyone regards you as a 'whiner'. :lol: I think your observations are welcomed and bring about improvements.

I think you have made some good logging on points.

Also, I'm particularly interested in the BB Code. It would be good to have shortcuts like we are used to. I would appreciate that.

However, in the meantime, I made a list of samples which I keep easily to hand so I can copy and paste the code and just change the sample text.

But ... please bring on the shortcuts when you can. 8-)

Michael.B

Next