MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Finale/Aria Tutorials Forum

Finale/Aria Tutorials Forum

Postby gogreen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:50 pm

How about a Finale/Aria Tutorials Forum?

Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Re: Finale/Aria Tutorials Forum

Postby Michael.B » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:47 am

Hello Art,

Have you seen my 'Michael Memo' threads. I have three so far with another on its way:

Michael Memo 1 ~ Garritan Guitars and Finale

Michael Memo 2 ~ Mixing Garritan instruments In Finale

Michael Memo 3 ~ Garritan and Aria Versions

I think your suggestion is interesting. A drawback to this is that too many sub-forums would have the effect of diluting the forums. It'll be interesting to see what other folk think.

Michael.B

Postby gogreen » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:55 am

Have you seen my 'Michael Memo' threads. I have three so far with another on its way:

Yup, I've seen them, and Randy's, too, and that's why I suggested it. Your tutorials and Randy's are immensely helpful! There is so much in Finale and in working with Garritan sounds and the Aria player that is undocumented or not documented in enough detail. These how-to's are the heart of the forum and should be broken out separately.

Art

Arthur J. Michaels
https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home x64 SP 1
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
M-Audio AV40 monitors
gogreen

Software Owned:
Finale 2000 to Finale 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
COMB2
GPO4, GPO5
Aria Player 1.860
Aria Engine 1.860

Postby rbowser » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 am

Having knowledgeable Finale users write tutorials for using Finale/Garritan/ARIA would be an ideal use of this new Forum.

I suggest those tutes be posted in "Tips and Techniques" - Except to make it even more clear that Tutorials could also be found there, maybe that Forum Could be "TTT - Tips, Techniques and Tutorials."

Having things too spread out is always an issue with these kinds of Forums. I'm thinking of Northern Sounds where the list of sub-Forums is so long, and how the specifically Garritan oriented sub-Forums for Support and Technical became too splintered off, one for each Library - and eventually those were pretty much abandoned by the average Forum member. For some time now, General Discussion has been the hub for all topics, including "tips" type posts.

This thread relates to another thread, "Forum Format Clarification" that I hope we get feedback on from Fred. I thought that was a very good question, because it still isn't clear to me why there's the division line on the Forum's front page. We have these specific sub-Forums above, and then some kind of generalized area below - why? I think we've all been unclear about that - Like, Michael, your first Michael Memo was posted in that general area, and then you saw that the Memos would be best in the Tips and Techniques area.

Right now there are a number of other threads down in the general area which would have been better in either Tips or Troubleshooting - like "jabb newbie in need of help," "AAX compatibility," "using multiple garritan libraries within finale 2011 print m" and "Garritand Logic Pro X." To help establish how the Forum is intended to be used, I think it would help if Fred could move those to the more appropriate sub-Forums.

So, I think it's a good point that Finale/ARIA tutes are needed, and I think it's a good point that maybe those could be posted in the TT Forum we already have - and I'm adding the request for that Forum to be TTT!

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Michael.B » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:49 am

rbowser wrote: ..... I suggest those tutes be posted in "Tips and Techniques" - Except to make it even more clear that Tutorials could also be found there, maybe that Forum Could be "TTT - Tips, Techniques and Tutorials." .....
Randy

Hello Randy,

I think that's a good suggestion. I'll go with that too if Fred is for it. :)

rbowser wrote: ..... Having things too spread out is always an issue with these kinds of Forums. I'm thinking of Northern Sounds where the list of sub-Forums is so long, and how the specifically Garritan oriented sub-Forums for Support and Technical became too splintered off, one for each Library - and eventually those were pretty much abandoned by the average Forum member. For some time now, General Discussion has been the hub for all topics, including "tips" type posts.

Randy

I also felt the same about those forums. So many sub-forums had the effect of dilluting the place I feel. Then, as you say, folk didn't go there and everything is now posted in the one place.

rbowser wrote: ..... Michael, your first Michael Memo was posted in that general area, and then you saw that the Memos would be best in the Tips and Techniques area.

Randy

I've been meaning to come back to this. If Fred would move that I would have no problem with that at all. In fact, I could do something myself .. like reposting it in the 'Tips and Techniques' and copying the replies into that. I could then edit the post in the general area, deleting the memo and putting a line of explanation and a link to its new place.

I think I'll probably do that if I don't hear from Fred.

Hey Randy, by the way, did you get notification of my new video in the 'Off topics'? I'm not fishing for replies (honest), I'm just curious if notices are being sent from that forum.

Michael.B

Postby Fred @ MakeMusic » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:07 am

Hey all-
Happy New Year!
I amended the tips and Techniques section to: "Tips, Techniques and Tutorials".
I will take a look into the sub-forum and categorization points brought up in this thread over the next few days-

Cheers

Fred

Fred @ MakeMusic

Postby rbowser » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:14 am

Fred @ MakeMusic wrote:...I amended the tips and Techniques section to: "Tips, Techniques and Tutorials".

Hey, that's great, Fred. Thanks!

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Michael.B » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:44 am

Fred @ MakeMusic wrote:Hey all-
Happy New Year!
I amended the tips and Techniques section to: "Tips, Techniques and Tutorials".
I will take a look into the sub-forum and categorization points brought up in this thread over the next few days-

Cheers

Fred

Hello Fred,

A happy new year to you too.

Thanks, the forum is looking good.

I'll repost my Michael Memo 1 in the 'Tutorials' forum and delete the message in my original and link it to the new repost.

Michael.B