MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Blank Title Page?

Moderator: Michael Good

Blank Title Page?

Postby BGD » Tue May 10, 2016 5:37 pm

I've searched this forum and elsewhere online for information on the proper way to create a blank title page (or pages) at the beginning of a score, but to no avail. I've also inspected the code output from Sibelius 8 (with and without the Dolet plugin) but I can't see any obvious MusicXML data that accounts for the title page. (It doesn't help matters that Sibelius 8 doesn't correctly re-load the XML from either output.)

What is the recommended way to incorporate blank title pages at the beginning of a score?

[edit]

Some exploration of Dolet's output via trial and error seems to indicate that it's the 'new-page' and 'blank-page' attributes within print element that Sibelius interprets as a blank title page.

Unfortunately there is no documentation of these attributes on the website other than the fact that 'new-page' takes 'yes-no' as a value and blank-page takes a positive integer.

Would you kindly expand on the intended use of these attributes within the print element? Specifically, what is the meaning of the blank-page value, and where in an XML file should these appear?

thanks
Bruno Degazio
BGD

Re: Blank Title Page?

Postby Michael Good » Wed May 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Bruno,

The blank-page attribute to the print element is documented in the musicxml.xsd and direction.dtd files as follows:

Version 2.0 adds a blank-page attribute. This is a positive integer value that specifies the number of blank pages to insert before the current measure. It is ignored if new-page is not "yes". These blank pages have no music, but may have text or images specified by the credit element. This is used to allow a combination of pages that are all text, or all text and images, together with pages of music.

So for a single title page, you would add a blank-page attribute with a value of 1 to a print element in the first measure of the work.

I hope that helps!
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: Blank Title Page?

Postby BGD » Thu May 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks Michael, somehow I missed that when searching through the docs. Just FYI, it doesn't come up when searching MusicXML Documentation site:

http://usermanuals.musicxml.com/MusicXM ... blank-page

[EDIT]
My fault, the definition you documented is available on the website, at one of the other links given by the search:

http://usermanuals.musicxml.com/MusicXM ... blank-page
BGD