MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Dolet 6.4 Sibelius - hidden hairpins

Moderator: Michael Good

Dolet 6.4 Sibelius - hidden hairpins

Postby pokeefe » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:17 pm

If this is not a forum for asking questions and reporting problems concerning specific MusicXML programs (such as Dolet plugins), please direct me to the proper location.

Basic question: Does MusicXML support the concept of hidden dynamics?

Specific question: How does the Dolet 6.4 for Sibelius handle hidden hairpins? When a Sibelius score containing a hidden hairpin is exported, is the hairpin exported? If so does it contain a "hidden" attribute so that it will still be hidden when imported into (for instance) Finale or MuseScore?

I use Sibelius 7.5. I have a score containing hidden hairpins and a user-created symbols "cresc.___" and "dim.___". Neither the Sibelius built-in MusicXML support not the Dolet 6.4 plugin handle the user-created symbols (and I assume there is no way they can or should). When the Sibelius native MusicXML file is imported into Finale or MuseScore the hairpins appear. When the Dolet-created file is imported, the hairpins do not appear. I don't know either Finale or MuseScore well enough to know if the hairpins are present but hidden, or if they are absent. If I import the file back into Sibelius the hairpins are missing, not just hidden, so I assume they did not make it into the MusicXML file, but I would like that confirmed.
Sib 7.5, Finale 2012c, GPO4, NotePerformer, some EWQL stuff
Dolet 6.4 for Sibelius, Dolet 6.4 for Finale
Win7 x64 Pro Intel i7-4771, 3.50Ghz, 16GB RAM
pokeefe

Re: Dolet 6.4 Sibelius - hidden hairpins

Postby Michael Good » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:11 am

In MusicXML 3.0, dynamics can be hidden when used with the notations element (attached to a note), but not within a direction (attached to a measure). The Dolet plug-in uses the direction element for exporting dynamics and I would guess that Sibelius's built-in MusicXML export is doing the same.

You can confirm whether the hairpins are present in your MusicXML file by opening it in any text editor that can handle Unicode file. Search for the wedge element and see if it appears where you expect. This is probably easiest to do with a small sample Sibelius file that includes one or two hidden hairpins, and saving an uncompressed MusicXML file. Dolet saves as uncompressed automatically, but it is an option in Sibelius's native MusicXML export.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good