MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

SmartScore to Finale 2014 MusicXML Pedal Problem

Moderator: Michael Good

SmartScore to Finale 2014 MusicXML Pedal Problem

Postby EIS » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:38 am

The piano pedaling recognized by SmartScore Pro X2, is either not being sent to Finale 2014 via the .xml file, or Finale 2014 is not recognizing the pedaling because the pedaling does not show up in Finale 2014.

The problem appears to be in Finale because when I load the .xml file into SmartScore Pro X2, the pedaling is there, but when the .xml file is transferred from SmartScore to Finale, there are no pedal markings shown. Is there a work-around?

The .xml transfer file is attached.

Note: I posted a similar thread on a SmartScore forum and another Finale forum. I did not know the MusicXML forum existed.

Thank You...
Earl
Attachments
Overlapping Pedal Night Song.xml
(43.59 KB) Downloaded 681 times
EIS

Re: SmartScore to Finale 2014 MusicXML Pedal Problem

Postby Adrian Holovaty » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Earl,

I tried your file in the Soundslice MusicXML viewer and hand-examined the markup manually, and I can confirm it doesn't contain any pedal information. SmartScore Pro must not include the pedal data in its MusicXML export.

Hope this helps,
Adrian
Adrian Holovaty

Postby EIS » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:48 pm

Adrian,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't understand how there is no pedal information in the .xml file because when I open the file in SmartScore Pro X2, the pedal information is there exactly as shown in the original manuscript. If you have SmartScore Pro X2, you might try opening the .xml file and see if the pedal information is present.

Earl
EIS

Postby Michael Good » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:37 am

Hello Earl,

I also looked at the file and Adrian is correct that there are no pedal marks in it. You don't have to take our word for it. You can open the XML file in any text editor and search for "pedal". You won't find anything in the attached file.

Might you be opening the SmartScore file and seeing the pedal marks, rather than the MusicXML file? There could be a difference between what SmartScore saves in its own format and what it exports to a MusicXML file.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby EIS » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:39 am

Michael,

Thank you for your reply. I must have accidentally open the .enf file in SmartScore, rather than the .xml file because when I opened the .xml file in SmartScore this morning, there was no pedal data shown. I have sent the .xml, .enf, and .tif files to tech support at Musitek to see if there is any setting I need to change to get the pedal data to transfer.

Earl Staley
EIS