MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

transpose tag (Finale 2014)

Moderator: Michael Good

transpose tag (Finale 2014)

Postby Michael Cuthbert » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Looking at the Schema, I see:
http://www.musicxml.com/UserManuals/Mus ... nspose.htm

that "The diatonic element specifies the number of pitch steps needed to go from written to sounding pitch. This allows for correct spelling of enharmonic transpositions." and "The chromatic element represents the number of semitones needed to get from written to sounding pitch. This value does not include octave-change values; the values for both elements need to be added to the written pitch to get the correct sounding pitch."

I do not, however, see that the diatonic element is affected in any way by octave-change. However, this is what Finale produces for a tenor sax piece:

<transpose>
<diatonic>-1</diatonic>
<chromatic>-2</chromatic>
<octave-change>-1</octave-change>
</transpose>

instead of -8, which I would expect for the diatonic transposition, it is -1. I believe that this is a bug and the specification could be clarified. music21 tried to create a note with 12xFlat to reflect something that is written down a second diatonically but sounds down a major ninth.

Thanks!
M
Michael Cuthbert

Re: transpose tag (Finale 2014)

Postby Michael Good » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Myke,

This is working as designed and is doing what the documentation is attempting to describe. You need to add the number of diatonic / chromatic steps in the octave change (-7 and -12 for an octave-change of -1) to the values in the diatonic and chromatic elements to get the current transposition from written to sounding pitch.

Do you have any suggestions for clarifying the documentation?
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: transpose tag (Finale 2014)

Postby Michael Cuthbert » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:42 pm

I would add the last sentence from "<chromatic>": "This value does not include octave-change values; the values for both elements need to be added to the written pitch to get the correct sounding pitch" to the description for <diatonic> as well. With this sentence only in <chromatic> it seems that diatonic functions differently. Thanks!
Michael Cuthbert