MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Measure section information

Moderator: Michael Good

Measure section information

Postby desideroali » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:48 am

Hi,

I'm trying to add section information into the scores.

For example, I want to tag the Intro, Verse, Chorus, Outro or some other Makam music parts of a work but not depending on the lyrics. Is it possible to use a tag or attribute in measures to indicate which part it belongs to?

Code: Select all
<measure section="intro">
</measure>

If this is possible not in this way but in another way, would you please help me to find out?

Kind regards,
Burak
desideroali

Re: Measure section information

Postby Michael Good » Fri May 01, 2015 11:15 am

Hi Burak,

Many MusicXML programs will validate against the MusicXML schema (XSD) or document type definition (DTD). So adding elements or attributes that are not in the MusicXML 3.0 definition will generate error messages and lead to a poorer user experience.

I think the <grouping> element is what you are looking for. It is intended for this type of analysis data. There is not a lot of software using this element yet. It would be great if you could try it and see if it works well for you. If you are using the MusicXML DTD, the grouping element is in the direction.dtd file.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: Measure section information

Postby desideroali » Wed May 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your reply. Currently, we have decided to use the name attribute of the lyric tag for our study. We will check the grouping element as well.

Kind regards,
Burak
desideroali