MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

2015 MusicXML Community Meeting Report

Moderator: Michael Good

2015 MusicXML Community Meeting Report

Postby Michael Good » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:42 pm

The MusicXML community meeting report is now up on our blog. It includes links to the presentations and a detailed discussion summary, plus a video of the whole meeting:

http://www.musicxml.com/the-2015-musicxml-community-meeting-at-musikmesse/

Thanks to Nicolas Froment from MuseScore for making a video recording of the entire meeting. If you have not been to one of our community meetings before, here is a great chance to associate faces and voices with the names and forum IDs:

We will continue discussion of the various meeting topics here on the forum.

Thanks again to Hal Leonard and Noteflight for sponsoring the reception, to Joe Berkovitz and Daniel Spreadbury for their great presentations, and to all the attendees for the lively and informative discussion.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: 2015 MusicXML Community Meeting Report

Postby Michael Cuthbert » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Congratulations on such an exciting meeting -- just got through the PPTs and starting to watch the video.

I believe that the CSS specification for style guidelines for MusicXML will be a great step forward for the future, and hope that this is the direction that MusicXML ends up going.

I also think that moving to an international standards organization (such as W3C) would free up a lot of scholarly grants and projects to fully embrace MusicXML (over MEI). A community group (which it seems would not commit the community to move to W3C but would open up some opportunities there) would be a good first step.

Best, Myke
Michael Cuthbert

Postby Mogens Lundholm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:15 am

About the list of programs supporting Music Xml:

How do I get my program on the list?

The program is a simple Midi and Music Xml Player. It is called MidiAndMusicXmlPlayer. Is can be downloaded from www.programfabriken.com or from AppStore. It works on PC and MAC.

You can select which Parts/Tracks to be played. You may also change tempo. Good for musical training. No installation is needed - just copy the program to e.g. the desktop. Allow Windows or Mac to run the program. Drag and drop a Music Xml file into the window.

About the CSS approach: Could this be done without changing everything?

Kind regards
Mogens
Mogens Lundholm

Postby Michael Good » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:59 am

Hi Mogens,

We just have to know about the application (including URL) to add it. Your app is now on the updated list with a dozen other new applications. We now have well over 200 applications with MusicXML support!

If you have a moment to update your site to correct the spelling of the format to "MusicXML" (no space between Music and XML), that would be great - thanks.

The CSS question will be an involved discussion. I will soon set up discussion topics on this forum for many of the issues discussed at the meeting, as well as other more general MusicXML 4.0 topics.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Mogens Lundholm » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks. And I have removed the space between Music and XML on my the home page.
Mogens Lundholm