MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

MusicXML Community Meeting at Musikmesse 2015

Moderator: Michael Good

MusicXML Community Meeting at Musikmesse 2015

Postby Michael Good » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:30 am

I am happy to announce that we have our MusicXML Community Meeting confirmed at the Musicbiz Lounge & Congress at Musikmesse. We will meet at the same time as last year: Friday, April 17 from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, with a reception afterwards sponsored by Hal Leonard / Noteflight. The meeting will be in the Workshop room in the Congress area adjacent to Hall 5.1.

If you registered with the Musicbiz Lounge & Congress last year, you will be receiving an email soon to reactivate your account for 2015. If you have not registered with the venue before, please do using this URL. Registering helps the Congress with their planning, and helps keep this venue available to us for our meetings:

https://www.b2match.eu/musikmesse2015/registration?locale=en

Include the remark "MusicXML" in your registration and you will be eligible for one of the 25 free Musikmesse day registrations provided by the Congress.

Please also email me or send a private message here if you plan to attend, so we know how many people to expect for the meeting and the reception.

I look forward to seeing many of you there!
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: MusicXML Community Meeting at Musikmesse 2015

Postby Michael Good » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:31 am

Here is the abstract for this year's meeting:

MusicXML has become the standard interchange format for music notation and digital sheet music over the past 15 years. Since 2013 the community of music notation developers, publishers, and musicians has met each year at Musikmesse to discuss new developments and possibilities for the future.

One topic for this year's meeting will be future directions for the MusicXML format. Might MusicXML evolve in the future from a document interchange format into a more complete platform for interactive digital sheet music? What might this evolution look like? How could we support interactivity better in the future without disrupting the successful document interchange of the present? How might such an evolution fare under the umbrella of a standards organization, for example the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)?

Other topics to be discussed are future integration of MusicXML and SMuFL, and status updates on new applications supporting MusicXML since last year's Musikmesse.

Moderated by: Michael Good (MakeMusic, inventor of MusicXML) and Joe Berkovitz (Noteflight)
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Michael Cuthbert » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Any chance that the meeting might be streamed/available on Google Hangout/Skype?

I think that this is a wonderful development and a great step forward in the MusicXML world after over a decade of great stewardship by Michael/Recordare and recently MakeMusic. I suspect that an independent organization will still enjoy Michael's amazing direction but will get more voices into the mix. If there is a board, I suggest having a music researcher but who knows something about the market on the board as well (Matthias Roeder?).

Obviously, SMuFL seems to be the highest priority for MusicXML 4.0 and I highly encourage working towards any developments in MusicXML that make supporting it easier.

A place where I feel MusicXML could offer support that might spur innovation in notation software is in the designation of multiple instruments within a part playing the same notes simultaneously -- for short scores, etc., where one staff might be for all the woodwinds. It would be a way to make MusicXML easier to share information with sequencing software.

Another place for development would be in the support for variant-type ossia staves. Right now ossia staves assume that there is a one-to-one correspondence of measures with the main staff; in the case of using ossias for recording variants, that is not always the case. A variant might involve skipping a particular measure or playing two measures of whole notes in the place of one.

Another point for the future (for 4.0 or maybe 5.0) is to scour the specs for MEI for good ideas that are easily encoded without losing backward compatibility.

Finally, I think that a rejected suggestion for 2.0 (or was it 3.0), is worth looking into again given the number of web applications using MusicXML: allowing HTML/CSS formatting for text sections, via classes and style declarations. Web applications right now need to convert to/from CSS styles for text to MusicXML (losing a lot of possibilities in the process) and then back. Allowing one text-rendering engine for HTML and MusicXML's text could be a beneficial variation for many.

Best, Myke
Michael Cuthbert

Postby Michael Good » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi Michael,

Thank you for these suggestions. We'll see what we can do in terms of streaming in a Google Hangout or Skype. We have had an Internet connection there in the past but I don't recall how good the quality has been.

I understand most of the MusicXML suggestions except the first one. The Telemann example from Beyond MIDI shows an example of a MusicXML short score (http://www.musicxml.com/music-in-musicxml/example-set/). Are you looking for something beyond this, such as allowing multiple instruments per note instead of having to repeat the note for each instrument?
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Michael Good » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:44 pm

I have updated the initial message with some news from the Congress. If you register with the comment "MusicXML", you will be eligible for one of the 25 free Musikmesse day registrations being provided by the Congress.

The registration link is https://www.b2match.eu/musikmesse2015?locale=en. Press the green Register button on the right-hand side of the page.
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby .mjb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:45 am

I would also be interested in "attending" via internet connection. I'm getting to the point where I'm pretty heavily invested in 3.0. This is my project (it's not done or usable yet, but just to give you an idea). https://github.com/Webern/mxdom/blob/ma ... Elements.h

I'm hoping 4.0 comes later rather than sooner since I'm just getting on the 3.0 bandwagon :) I am interested to hear the discussion.
.mjb

Software Owned:
Finale 2014, Logic Pro X, Mac 10.9.5, Xcode, Xmplify

Postby Michael Good » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks for the update on your project. We should probably discuss this in a separate topic, but I'd be curious to know the difference between this project and the existing libMusicXML for C++ (https://code.google.com/p/libmusicxml/).

The Musicbiz registration has been updated to include the MusicXML meeting. You can now go to the Registration tab on your profile and add that you are attending the MusicXML meeting. This should make you eligible for one of the day passes being provided by the Musicbiz organizers, and will also help planning for the meeting and reception.

People who have registered for past Musicbiz Congresses at Musikmesse should also have received email by now to re-activate their registration for 2015. Otherwise you can register at:

https://www.b2match.eu/musikmesse2015?locale=en
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby .mjb » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:04 pm

I'll start a new thread. FYI, Google Code is closing down and it looks like the author of libmusicxml did migrate it to here https://github.com/dfober/libmusicxml

I accidentally migrated a copy of the repository just now to my own github account, but I suppose with GNU free software that's OK to do? If not I'll delete it.
.mjb

Software Owned:
Finale 2014, Logic Pro X, Mac 10.9.5, Xcode, Xmplify