MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Open command in Finale 2014/OS X 10.10

Moderator: Michael Good

Open command in Finale 2014/OS X 10.10

Postby Michael Cuthbert » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Here is a message just sent to tech support about MusicXML and Finale 2014; I don't know if it's specific to 10.10 or all Mac users. Figured that others may be having similar issues and might have work-arounds.

(btw -- why is .mxl not an acceptable file format for this forum? :-) )

---
I sent a message reporting this problem when 10.10 was in beta, and was told to wait until 10.10 was released to send it again, but the problem persists: when a MusicXML file is clicked from Finder (.mxl or .xml if that's been associated with Finale) or the Import MusicXML command, but the command-line "open file.mxl" or "open -a /Applications/Finale\ 2014.app file.xml" rarely works. It opens up a blank document with the top two staves labeled properly but no other notes.

Attached is a document ("The_Confrontation.mxl") that works properly with the "open" command (unknown creator). Then there are two versions of the file after importing, exported by Finale 2014, one in MusicXML 3.0 Uncompressed, one in 3.0 Compressed. Neither open.

I have been advising the Mac users of my software to stick with Finale 2012 until it can be fixed, but I'd love to have them upgrade since the XML import in 2014 is much improved.
---
Attachments
finale 2014 xml.zip
file collections
(47.61 KB) Downloaded 293 times
Michael Cuthbert

Re: Open command in Finale 2014/OS X 10.10

Postby Michael Good » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi Michael,

I hope to take a look at the Yosemite issue next week. For now you may want to try manually updating the layout (Ctrl- or Command-U) after opening the file and see if that works?

I believe we have resolved the secondary issue about attaching .mxl files here. I have attached our Dichterliebe sample file here to test it out.
Attachments
Dichterliebe01.mxl
Sample MXL file
(10.76 KB) Downloaded 262 times
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: Open command in Finale 2014/OS X 10.10

Postby Michael Cuthbert » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Oh wow. Totally works. So easy on my side, and I imagine so easy to fix, maybe, on MakeMusic's side as well?

Btw -- congrats there, now that I can use it properly. Some MusicXML import errors fixed in 2014 that were big show stoppers for my own work (including interpreting independent key signatures, which are common in early music, as always indicating transpositions). Great work.
Michael Cuthbert