SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

cancel-location implementation

Moderator: Michael Good

cancel-location implementation

Postby Evan Brooks » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi Michael,

The online documentation for "cancel-location" at:

http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/ ... cation.htm

gives some very helpful graphics to clarify the positioning of the cancellation key signature with respect to the bar lines and the regular key signature. My question has to do with the "proper" drawing of the cancellation key signature.

My understanding is that the naturals that are drawn as cancellation accidentals in a cancellation key signature are to be drawn in the same order they appeared as regular accidentals in the previous key signature. And in fact, the example drawings for the case of a cancel-location value of "left" and "before-barline" are drawn this way. The B and E naturals mimic the positioning of the original B and E Flat accidentals.

However, the drawing for the "right" case inverts the order of the two (B and E) naturals. Is there some reason for this discrepancy? Does putting the accidentals to the right of the key signature require or suggest an inverted layout of any cancellation naturals?

I don't have enough background in music engraving to know how prevalent one way of drawing is over another, so any explanation for at least the reasoning behind the "right" example, if not the layout rule in general, would be helpful. Thanks.

--Evan
Evan Brooks

Re: cancel-location implementation

Postby Michael Good » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14 am

Hi Evan,

This was added back in 2007 for MusicXML 2.0, and I don't recall the repertoire examples that led to its addition. Neither Finale nor Sibelius supports this option so I couldn't do a quick check there. My notes from 2007 are in California and I'm in Minnesota, so I'll have to wait until next week to be able to investigate further.

If someone else has repertoire examples and can clarify whether or not the documentation figure is correct, please let us know - thanks!
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good