MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

multiple-rest XSD documentation

Moderator: Michael Good

multiple-rest XSD documentation

Postby Evan Brooks » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:09 pm

The XSD documentation for "multiple-rest" says in part that:

"Multiple rests may use the 1-bar / 2-bar / 4-bar rest symbols, or a single shape."

Since MusicXML 3.0 supports the "maxima" note-type-value now, the documentation should reflect its use as a rest symbol of (typically, but not always) 8 bars. Perhaps:

"Multiple rests may use the 1-bar / 2-bar / 4-bar / 8-bar rest symbols, or a single shape."
Evan Brooks

Re: multiple-rest XSD documentation

Postby Michael Good » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:48 am

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I see that SMuFL 1.0 uses U+E4E0 for a maxima rest (page 141), but I've always interpreted that symbol as being 2 longa rests (U+E4E1), just like a 7-bar rest isn't its own symbol, but a combination of longa, breve, and whole rests.

This is a good example of where we can likely clarify the MusicXML specification by reference to specific SMuFL code points. I would like to do that in conjunction with any reference to maxima rests there.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: multiple-rest XSD documentation

Postby Evan Brooks » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi Michael,

It's good that SMuFL specifies a code point for the maxima glyph. But the reason for my post was that MusicXML itself specifies maxima as a note type, and therefore as "its own symbol". Certainly one can (and many do) use two longas to represent a maxima, but since MusicXML 3.0 calls out a maxima as a separate symbol, then it is only consistent that maxima be considered one of the "symbols" that can be used to represent a multiple-rest, and the documentation should reflect that.

--Evan
Evan Brooks