MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

xsd documentation questions/corrections

Moderator: Michael Good

xsd documentation questions/corrections

Postby Evan Brooks » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:39 pm

The musicxml.xsd for MusicXML 3.0 states, in the documentation for the complexType "interchangeable", that "...The parentheses attribute value is yes by default." However, there does not appear to be a parentheses attribute in the "interchangeable" complexType. There is a "time-relation" element, which can assume the value of "parentheses". I seem to recall that there might have been a "parentheses" attribute in the "interchangeable" complexType long ago, during a Beta version of 3.0, and that the proposed documentation had removed the reference to it once the attribute was removed in a later Beta version.

However, the documentation seems to still retain this outdated reference. Could someone please clarify which of the following is currently correct:

(1) there is meant to be a (currently missing) "parentheses" attribute in "interchangeable", and its value is yes by default

(2) there is no "parentheses" attribute in "interchangeable", but the default value of any "time-relation" elements that are in "interchangeable" should be "parentheses"

(3) Neither (1) or (2) above are true. The words "The parentheses attribute value is yes by default" should be stricken from the xsd documentation for "interchangeable"

(4) Some other possibility I am not considering.

Many thanks,

Evan Brooks
Evan Brooks

Re: xsd documentation questions/corrections

Postby Michael Good » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:10 am

Hi Evan,

Thanks for finding this. Number 3 is the correct interpretation - that sentence should be removed from the XSD documentation. The DTD documentation has it correct. I've added this to our list of things to fix in the future.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good