MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

How can we search this forum?

Moderator: Michael Good

How can we search this forum?

Postby Hervé Bitteur » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:57 am

Hi All,

This may sound like a stupid question, since there is indeed a search input field followed by a button at the top of forum home page.

However, if I type something like "measure barline", with or without the quotes, in the search field and press Enter, I get this message:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: barline measure.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

Sorry, I don't know of acceptable (less common) words for barline and for measure.
But seriously, is there any search tool we could actually use?

Thanks for your help
/Hervé
Hervé Bitteur

Re: How can we search this forum?

Postby Michael Good » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Hervé,

Thanks for the reminder - I've noticed this too. I bet our 12 years of archives is confusing the default search algorithm. I'll see what we can do to get this fixed.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Michael Good » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi Hervé,

The search should be fixed now. Please let us know if you continue to have problems. Thanks again for letting us know about this.
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Hans Vereyken » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:19 am

For me it's still not usable. Luckily I still have the mailing list on my computer, I can search there.

At this moment I am working on reading lyrics from a musicXML file. Searching this forum with 'lyrics' or 'lyric' as a term to get all post concerning lyrics I get: 'No suitable matches were found.'

It would be great if you can improve on the search function.

Kind regards
Hans
Hans Vereyken

Postby Michael Good » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks for letting me know about this problem. We just did an update of all our web sites a couple days ago - I wonder if the indexing needs to be redone on this forum. A search for "lyrics" found this post, so that seems likely - I'll check.
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Michael Good » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:55 am

The forum has been reindexed so the search should be working now. I just tried the lyrics search and it seemed to work correctly.
Michael Good
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Hans Vereyken » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:27 am

/*I don't know how long this indexing will take, but I still get only one topic, It's 3 entries, because this topic has 3 posts with the word 'lyrics' in it (now 4!). But still one topic, still not possible to search old posts.*/

[edit]Apparently I needed to clear my cache before the re-Indexed results appeared. Please add no cache options to the headers of the search result html documents (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4954 ... l-browsers)[/edit]
Hans Vereyken