MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Notes by beats - playback of a cluster

Moderator: Michael Good

Notes by beats - playback of a cluster

Postby DavidEVan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:25 pm

I am writing some code to parse musicXML with the goal of finding patterns. Currently, I am looking to organize notes by beats but cannot find a suitable method to slot the notes accordingly. (A combination of the x-coordinate and duration values is probably the key but am not quite there yet) Also, relating in playback, how are tone clusters resolved given their differing x-coordinates but the fact that they should be played at the same time with the other notes in the chord?

Thank you in advance for your help!
DavidEVan

Re: Notes by beats - playback of a cluster

Postby Hans Vereyken » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:52 am

As far as I know you shouldn't use the x-position to organize the notes, you should use the 'duration' of the 'note', 'forward' and 'backup' to determine the beat. Also take a look at the 'divisions' element.

In short: The 'divisions' element at the beginning of a part tells you how many divisions a quarter note will take (duration). Each measure starts with division 0, the first note in the measure is positioned at division 0, the next one is positioned at division 0 + the duration of the first note (this isn't the case if the note has a chord element). If measures get complicated backup and forward are used. A forward tells you to move on for x divisions, a backup tells you to go x divisions back.

Shorter: use the duration elements to calculate the musical position of the note (in combination with the divisions element). Take a look at grace notes, cue notes and chord notes vs durations.
Hans Vereyken

Re: Notes by beats - playback of a cluster

Postby DavidEVan » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:53 am

Thank you Hans for the excellent response. I should be set :)
DavidEVan