MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Scaling the Barrier to Entry

Moderator: Michael Good

Re: Scaling the Barrier to Entry

Postby Mogens Lundholm » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:17 am

Somebody wrote:Hej Matthew and group

The attached files did not show up.

I have attached some diagrams of what I think is needed to play an Xml- file.
(Starting with ScorePartwise). Maybe this state diagram can help.

I think I can tell why you only get one note (if you send me the file) I feel I am new to xml, but have written a program to play music-xml
(Selected tracks - selected tempo and instruments)

Your question: You should have a 4. But note that a triol will create another value, e.g. 12 and the 1/16 note have duration of 3.

Here is a definition of duration: <http://www.musicxml.com/tutorial/the-midi-compatible-part/duration/>

The duration element is an integer that represents a note’s duration in terms of divisions per quarter note. Since our example has 24 divisions per quarter note, a quarter note has a duration of 24. The eighth-note triplets have a duration of 8, while the eighth notes have a duration of 12.

About durations: <http://www.musicxml.com/for-developers/musicxml-dtd/note-elements/>

Notes are the most common type of MusicXML data. The MusicXML format keeps the MuseData distinction between elements used for sound information and elements used for notation information (e.g., tie is used for sound, tied for notation). Thus grace notes do not have a duration element. Cue notes have a duration element, as do forward elements, but no tie elements. Having these two types of information available can make interchange considerably easier, as some programs handle one type of information much more readily than the other. I think you shall have duration tags always. For the moment I am investigating tempo, because some xml-files are played to fast with my program.

Regards Mogens

.mjb wrote:Hello,

I am a composer with some basic programming skills (though I don't work with xml much). I am interested in composing musical material in a C++ space then dropping these ideas out to MusicXML (it's either that or learn to write MIDI files and I think MusicXML will be easier).

I am looking for someone who might be willing to mentor me on MusicXML via email exchange as I am finding it very difficult to get started. I think the main issue is that MusicXML is much, much bigger than what I intend to do with it in my nascent state of learning.

As a first project, here is what I would like to do. Create a "part- wise" score consisting of a single part, in 4/4, with no time signature, consisting of a stream of sixteenth notes properly grouped 4-per-beat, 16-per-measure. Once I can do this and start adding a few more complexities (rests, accents, tuplets) I think I will be well on my way to self-sufficiency.

As an illustration of my newbie challenges, attached are two documents that I created by manipulating the Hello World document. 1_WhyOnlyOneNote.xml illustrates what happens when I try to create 2 notes instead of one. When I open 1_WhyOnlyOneNote.xml with Finale2014 I still get a single note but expected 2 notes. 2_WhyNotFlat.xml I get an E-natural instead of Eb when opening in Finale2014.

I certainly don't want to spam this group while learning to crawl, but if there is a member who would be willing to write a handful of emails per week to help me get started (or even to provide url's to the correct documentation pages), it would be very helpful.

Thanks. Matt

Example questions that I find difficult to answer on my own:

1. Should divisions be the number of divisions in a measure or in a beat, i.e. for 16th notes in 4/4 should it be 4 or 16? 2. If I just want the notated duration and midi duration to be the same, what should I put in the <duration> tag? Can I just leave this out if I want to go with the notated duration?
Mogens Lundholm

Re: Scaling the Barrier to Entry

Postby James Sutton » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:28 am

Hi Mogens,

Your problem with tempo may be that the sound tempo element refers always to a crotchet (value 4) beat. The time signature is irrelevant

with best regards James Sutton

Somebody wrote:Hej Matthew and group The attached files did not show up. I have attached some diagrams of what I think is needed to play an Xml- file. (Starting with ScorePartwise). Maybe this state diagram can help. I think I can tell why you only get one note (if you send me the file) I feel I am new to xml, but have written a program to play music-xml
(Selected tracks - selected tempo and instruments) Your question: You should have a 4. But note that a triol will create another value, e.g. 12 and the 1/16 note have duration of 3. Here is a definition of duration: <http://www.musicxml.com/tutorial/the-midi-compatible-part/duration/>
The duration element is an integer that represents a note’s duration in terms of divisions per quarter note. Since our example has 24 divisions per quarter note, a quarter note has a duration of 24. The eighth-note triplets have a duration of 8, while the eighth notes have a duration of 12. About durations: <http://www.musicxml.com/for-developers/musicxml-dtd/note-elements/>
Notes are the most common type of MusicXML data. The MusicXML format keeps the MuseData distinction between elements used for sound information and elements used for notation information (e.g., tie is used for sound, tied for notation). Thus grace notes do not have a duration element. Cue notes have a duration element, as do forward elements, but no tie elements. Having these two types of information available can make interchange considerably easier, as some programs handle one type of information much more readily than the other. I think you shall have duration tags always. For the moment I am investigating tempo, because some xml-files are played to fast with my program. Regards Mogens
James Sutton