MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

How to define a block of text in MusicMXL?

Moderator: Michael Good

How to define a block of text in MusicMXL?

Postby blmara » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:29 pm

Hi,

The headline says it all: how to define a block of lyric text in MusicXML? I.e. with songs in a song book there are lyrics of one verse straight below the staves and the next verses are written as blocks of text under the whole piece.

Marko

-- Marko Raina AW nick: blmara
blmara

RE: How to define a block of text in MusicMXL?

Postby Michael Good » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Hi Marko,

For text that is better associated with a page rather than a musical position in a piece, use the credit element. This is named for the credits (title, composer, etc.) that appear on the first page of a piece, but can also be used for things like block lyric text.

MusicXML 1.1 restricted the credit element to page 1, but it may appear on any page in MusicXML 2.0. Multi-line text is no problem: just put the line breaks in the credit-words element. Note that XML has some specific rules for end-of-line handling, described online at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-line-ends

Multi-line text can go in the words element within a direction as well, but that needs to be positioned relative to a measure / part combination.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Michael Good Recordare LLC

Hi,

The headline says it all: how to define a block of lyric text in MusicXML? I.e. with songs in a song book there are lyrics of one verse straight below the staves and the next verses are written as blocks of text under the whole piece.

Marko

Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Re: How to define a block of text in MusicMXL?

Postby blmara » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi Michael

thanks, the credit element may be the solution. If I understand correctly, for a multi-font, multi-colour, multi-line text block there must also be multiple credit elements (or credit-words in a credit).

Another thing: my program will also support some basic graphics shapes to decorate notated pages like lines, rectangles and ovals. As there seems to be only external pic file element (credit-image or image) I wonder if the other-direction element would be the choice for these non-standard shapes?

Marko

Michael Good wrote:Hi Marko,

For text that is better associated with a page rather than a musical position in a piece, use the credit element. This is named for the credits (title, composer, etc.) that appear on the first page of a piece, but can also be used for things like block lyric text.

MusicXML 1.1 restricted the credit element to page 1, but it may appear on any page in MusicXML 2.0. Multi-line text is no problem: just put the line breaks in the credit-words element. Note that XML has some specific rules for end-of-line handling, described online at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#sec-line-ends

Multi-line text can go in the words element within a direction as well, but that needs to be positioned relative to a measure / part combination.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Hi,

Marko

>

Regards

blmara

Postby blmara » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:32 pm

Hei Michael

I may have missed your answer, but I asked after your good answer about using credit-words element to implement multiple-line text blocks:

My program's text blocks have also background box with its own colour, border and the internal margins between the border and the actual text. How should I express them in my program's MusicXML files even if the standard itself wouldn't support these features? The credit element seems to accept only either credit-words or credit-image children but also 'link' and
'bookmark' elements. Could for example the xlink system be used to implement custom features like this?

Marko

Michael Good wrote:Michael Good Recordare LLC

Hi,

Marko

>

Regards

blmara

RE: How to define a block of text in MusicMXL?

Postby Michael Good » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi Marko,

Sorry for not answering earlier - it's been very busy here getting MusicXML 2.0 finished.

To do this 100% in MusicXML, you could write out the background box as its own image file, and link to it with a credit-image element. Then you could use a credit-words element for the text, and the two could overlap each other as needed.

The general way to add application-specific extension is to use either the other- elements or, if those are not sufficient, XML processing instructions. If you search the list archives for "processing instructions" I think you will find more details on this. PDFtoMusic Pro is one example that uses processing instructions for features that were not handled in MusicXML 1.1, but could be recognized by other Myriad applications like Harmony Assistant and the Myriad Music Plug-in.

Best regards,

Hei Michael

I may have missed your answer, but I asked after your good answer about using credit-words element to implement multiple-line text blocks:

My program's text blocks have also background box with its own colour, border and the internal margins between the border and the actual text. How should I express them in my program's MusicXML files even if the standard itself wouldn't support these features? The credit element seems to accept only either credit-words or credit-image children but also 'link' and 'bookmark' elements. Could for example the xlink system be used to implement custom features like this?

Marko
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby blmara » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi Michael

the processing instructions seem to be the thing I've searched for. Thanks!

Marko

Sorry for not answering earlier - it's been very busy here getting MusicXML 2.0 finished.

To do this 100% in MusicXML, you could write out the background box as its own image file, and link to it with a credit-image element. Then you could use a credit-words element for the text, and the two could overlap each other as needed.

The general way to add application-specific extension is to use either the other- elements or, if those are not sufficient, XML processing instructions. If you search the list archives for "processing instructions" I think you will find more details on this. PDFtoMusic Pro is one example that uses processing instructions for features that were not handled in MusicXML 1.1, but could be recognized by other Myriad applications like Harmony Assistant and the Myriad Music Plug-in.

Best regards,

Hei Michael

My program's text blocks have also background box with its own colour, border and the internal margins between the border and the actual text. How should I express them in my program's MusicXML files even if the standard itself wouldn't support these features? The credit element seems to accept only either credit-words or credit-image children but also 'link' and 'bookmark' elements. Could for example the xlink system be used to implement custom features like this?

Marko

Regards

blmara