MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Better guitar tab example now available

Moderator: Michael Good

Better guitar tab example now available

Postby Michael Good » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:57 am

We have received copyright permission for posting our first example of a contemporary song for voice and guitar. So we now have a much improved guitar tablature MusicXML example available. Please check:

http://www.recordare.com/xml/samples.html#Contributed

This first example is an excerpt from Jonatha Brooke's song "West Point". It includes examples of alternate tuning, capo, pull-offs, and complex chords. Ken Temple and Marian Russell made the initial tab transcriptions upon which this example is based. Thanks to them and to Jonatha Brooke's management and publishing for giving us permission to post it!

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC
Michael Good

RE: Better guitar tab example now available

Postby Michael Good » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:32 pm

Hi Peer,

This is a good question. It is indeed confusing because we are trying to reconcile two different numbering traditions within MusicXML.

The <string> element is referring to the string number. So that, as is traditional, is numbered starting with the highest string as number 1.

On the other hand, the <staff-tuning> element has a *line* attribute. This is referring to the line on the staff rather than a string. Staff lines in traditional notation are generally numbered starting with the lowest line being number 1.

So the two numberings - one for strings, one for lines - are indeed the reverse of each other. On a guitar tab staff, line 1 refers to string 6, and string 1 is on line 6.

I'm sorry for the confusion, but I don't see a good way to avoid it given that we are trying to integrate two notation traditions in a single format.

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

Hello Michael,

Good to have an guitar-specific example. And I have yet a problem with the staff-tuning.

As I see in the example the string-numbering in the <staff-tuning>-tag is line="1" the lowest-string. But in the <technical>-tag the numbering of the strings is just reverse ( <string>6</string> is the lowest string). Is this the correct numbering ? At this time TaBazar writes the <staff-tuning> in the numbering of the <technical>-tag.

Bye, Peer
Michael Good

Re: Better guitar tab example now available

Postby Michael Good » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:43 pm

Hi Peer,

That's a bug in Dolet 1.1. It doesn't support tab in Finale until 2003, but it still is trying to make the guitar part a 6-line staff. Unfortunately in this case it succeeds, so that C# is now appearing on the bottom line of a 6-line treble clef staff. That is not good! We will fix this in a maintenance release.

Note that you can import MusicXML into the demo version of Finale 2003 with tab support using the Dolet plug-in. You just can't export MusicXML files from a demo version of Finale.

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

Hello Michael,

Michael Good wrote:I'm sorry for the confusion, but I don't see a good way to avoid it given that we are trying to integrate two notation traditions in a single format.

Sounds logical. Because I numbered the strings in TaBazar the different way I have to transform the transformation ;-) Really confusing.

But another question. Please, let's have a look to the first note of the guitar-part. The empty string on the A-string with capo at the fourth fret is a C#. When I import the sample-file in Finale 2001 using Dolet 1.1.0 the first note is an E#. Error or some kind of transposing ?

Bye, Peer
Michael Good

Postby DoubleEzy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Hello - I realize the post I'm responding too is quite old, but I am desperate to figure out West Point (Annapolis) by Jonatha Brooke. The link from the original post is no longer available. I'm usually pretty darned good at learning songs by ear, but alternate tunings throw me a bit. Per Jonatha's website, the tuning is DADGBD with a capot on the 4th fret. If by chance this message gets to you, I would appreciate ANY hints regarding this song! I've managed to decipher a few of the voicings, and I even have friends working on it LOL, but we are all stumped when it comes to completing the transcription.

Love & Light,
Erin Evans
[email protected]
DoubleEzy

Postby Michael Good » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:53 am

Hi Erin,

The examples are now at http://www.musicxml.com/music-in-musicxml/example-set/. You can find the West Point example in the Contributed section. There are links there to both the PDF and MusicXML versions. It is just the beginning of the song, not the whole song, but hopefully that is enough to get going. I have updated the original post to link to the new URL.

Marian Russell used to have a site with a lot of Jonatha Brooke tabs that was linked from Ms. Brooke's official site, but unfortunately that seems to have gone offline.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good