MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

What to leave in, what to leave out

Moderator: Michael Good

What to leave in, what to leave out

Postby Michael Good » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:36 pm

Hi John,

John Lynch wrote:Maybe not, I'm still a little unclear on just how much playback info should be encoded in the MusicXML file, vs. inferred from the notation.

I think it's great if applications can put as much music data into their MusicXML files as is reasonable. In some cases, though, you do want to give the user the option as to whether specific information gets included, since you may not want to save this information when going from one application to the other. This is especially true for print and sound suggestions. The ability to specify whether system and/or page breaks are included in SharpEye's MusicXML output is one example.

But this should not discourage developers from starting with basic MusicXML capabilities, then adding more features in successive releases.

If all you are working with is an abc file, you probably don't have a lot - if any - performance information to work with. In that case it is probably best to just stick with the notation. But if your program reads and writes abc files, and also lets you adjust playback, then why not capture those playback adjustments in the MusicXML file?

There's no update yet on our MusicXML to MIDI translator, I'm afraid. Currently our priority is on getting MusicXML 0.7 out, backed by a good implementation in Dolet. This may well include better handling of Finale's MIDI-related data. But plans can change based on market demand.

I'm also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who found parsing abc to be non-trivial!

Best regards,

Michael Good Recordare LLC
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good