MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Is it possible to recognize music by microphone?

Moderator: Michael Good

Is it possible to recognize music by microphone?

Postby Chester Cheng » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:05 pm

Hi all,
I know that we can recognize music notation by scanner, but I think this is not efficient. So I have an idea to use microphone to receive the signal of the musical instrument, then recognize it and translate into musicxml file.
But I know that the sound has contructive and destructive interference,
so I want to ask,
is it possible to recognize the mixed up signals? Thanks, Best Regards,

| Chester |
| C. S. 3 |
| HKBU |
Chester Cheng

RE: Is it possible to recognize music by microphone?

Postby Iain Downs » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:23 pm

Automatic music transcription is a hard task - arguably as hard or harder the speech understanding. It is surprisingly difficult even to extract the fundamental frequency of notes from single note music.

There are, however, a goodly number of programs on the market which will recognise monophonic music quite accurately (so I'm led to believe - not really tried them out). An example (chosen randomly because if happens to be in my favourites) is http://www.digital-ear.com/info.htm. A useful link is

http://www.s-line.de/homepages/gerd_castan/compmus/audio2midi_e.html .

However, polyphonic recognisers are still very much in the labs, though some commercial products exist, they are not particularly effective.

If you are interested in the research, then contact me off-mail and I'll send you some useful links. The classic book in this area is 'Auditory Scene Analysis' - the name 'Bergmann' comes to mind as the author, but the title is definitely correct.

HTH

Iain

Hi all,
I know that we can recognize music notation by scanner, but I think this is not efficient. So I have an idea to use microphone to receive the signal of the musical instrument, then recognize it and translate into musicxml file.
But I know that the sound has contructive and destructive interference,
so I want to ask,
is it possible to recognize the mixed up signals? Thanks, Best Regards,

| Chester |
| C. S. 3 |
| HKBU |
Iain Downs