MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

The Cuckoo and the Nightingale (Realisation)

Share your creative content with the Garritan community

The Cuckoo and the Nightingale (Realisation)

Postby Michael.B » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:11 am

To try to keep the momentum going here I have added a recording which, like Randy's, has been heard before.

Unlike Art and Randy originals I have posted a 'realisation' (I'm not keen on the term 'mock-up') of a piece of music. I hope 'realisations' are as welcome here as original works. This is my 'Cuckoo and Nightingale' from Handel's Organ Concerto in F.

Handel ~ Organ Concerto in F, 2nd Movement, 'The Cuckoo and Nightingale'.

This was created with Finale, entirely with an early version of GPO and then Sonar. This is a very early attempt of mine when I first started working with Garritan libraries.

Very shortly I hope to rework this using the latest Finale (2014), the new Garritan Classic Pipe Organs library (to replace the original GPO organ), the latest Sonar (X3) and, of course, with considerably more experience to see if I am able to improve on it.

In the meantime, I hope you like this. :D

Michael

Michael.B

Re: The Cuckoo and the Nightingale (Realisation)

Postby rbowser » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:54 am

This is great - The Media Room is really coming alive!

This is quite nice, Michael, and something you should still be proud of. We always hear the shortcomings of things we've done in the past, but really, no need to be half-hearted or humble when offering this. It sounds light, airy, playful, just as Handel intended.

AND I am glad to hear you say you don't care for the term "mock-up." I can't stand that term - it sounds apologetic and minimizing - "It's just a mock up"-- rather than something the creator should be proud of. "Realization" works for me, ah--that's the American spelling--I like "Realisation" also. I think "rendering" is broad enough term also - A rendering can be the end product of most any activity. To simply say "recording" is probably what I say most often, and that seems natural since I do my work in Sonar. But "recording" doesn't indicate how a piece could have started with the kind of meticulous note-insertion you did for this Handel piece in Finale, so realization/realisation or rendering are most apropos. (Interesting--My American spell check marks "realisation" as a wrong spelling, guess that makes sense.)

Actually there's one more term - "Performance." You didn't perform it live of course, but I think that in our age of computers, to create recordings the way we do results in a Performance, just in a different than the traditional sense.

It occurs to me I haven't seen you post much music before, Michael - So that makes seeing you here with music all the more appreciated.

Sounds wonderful to me!

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:47 am

rbowser wrote:Actually there's one more term - "Performance." You didn't perform it live of course, but I think that in our age of computers, to create recordings the way we do results in a Performance, just in a different than the traditional sense.

I agree.
Performing effectively sitting at your desktop needs taste and vision of the piece as much as standing at the podium.
Bravo Michael.

Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:56 pm

I really enjoyed this. The realism of the orchestral instruments is incredible. Very nice work indeed!

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 am

rbowser wrote: ..... Actually there's one more term - "Performance." You didn't perform it live of course, but I think that in our age of computers, to create recordings the way we do results in a Performance, just in a different than the traditional sense. .....

Sounds wonderful to me!

Randy

Hey Randy, I actually think that the term you mention .. 'Performance' .. is better than the one I used (realisation/realization).

I'll be using that from now on. :D

Michael.B

Postby Michael.B » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:54 am

Fabio Biolcati wrote:
rbowser wrote:Actually there's one more term - "Performance." You didn't perform it live of course, but I think that in our age of computers, to create recordings the way we do results in a Performance, just in a different than the traditional sense.

I agree.
Performing effectively sitting at your desktop needs taste and vision of the piece as much as standing at the podium.
Bravo Michael.

Thank you Fabio. That is very much appreciated. :D

Michael.B

Postby Michael.B » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:55 am

kingfreeze wrote:I really enjoyed this. The realism of the orchestral instruments is incredible. Very nice work indeed!

Hello again Kingfreeze,

Thank you for your comments. I really do appreciate them. :D

Michael.B

Postby efiebke » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Love Bach! Sadly, never really studied his works except for a couple of "Music History Survey" courses that I took in music college. (Berklee is not known for providing serious courses on the classics, unfortunately.) But, I Love Bach! This is a lovely rendering (or "realization"?) of his work. It will be interesting to hear it again when you re-render (re-realize??) this piece, especially using the newer Garritan organ library. Nice work.

MacPro 3.33 (12-Core, Early 2009/2010 Refurbished); OS X 10.11.3; 32 GBs RAM; MOTU 2408 MK3; AKAI MPK88 keyboard controller; Logic Pro X; Digital Performer 9; Adobe CC Software; Final Cut Pro X; Finale 2014.5
efiebke

Software Owned:
Garritan GPO
Garritan JABB
Garritan Stradivari
Garritan Gofriller Cello
Finale (many years worth including 2014.5)

Postby Michael.B » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:46 am

efiebke wrote:Love Bach! ..... But, I Love Bach! This is a lovely rendering (or "realization"?) of his work. It will be interesting to hear it again when you re-render (re-realize??) this piece, especially using the newer Garritan organ library. Nice work.

Hello again Ted,

I'm pleased you enjoyed the track.

I love Bach too .. and Handel who wrote this Organ Concerto. I know, it was a typo or a deliberate mistake to test us. ;)

Anyway, I really appreciate your comment. :)

Michael

Michael.B