MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Christmas already?

Share your creative content with the Garritan community

Christmas already?

Postby Tom Davis » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:13 am

A local college is performing a modern morality play which asks what would happen if the Christ showed up to a group of street kids in 2015.

This piece "Softly Spoke the Angels" is the end of Act I. It presents the sleeping kids reaction to a sudden pronouncement by angels that the Son of God is back. Their reactions range from disbelief to awe to anger.

While the arrival of angels is often presented with heralding trumpets and great fanfare, I thought it would be more dramatic to take a much more subtle approach for this scene.

I used Garritan Oboe, English Horn, French Horn, Bassoon, Violin I, Violin II, Viola, Cello and Bass. The voices are EW Symphonic Choirs. Wirtten in Finale 2014 with no DAW.

The text is:
Haleluia, Haleluia, Haleluia.
Rejoice, Rejoice, Rejoice.
The Son of God is come , is come to you this day.
Gloria in excelsis, gloria in excelsis Deo, gloria in excelsis Deo.
Haleluia.

https://app.box.com/s/h1oaw8xjakn5j7eziuh5jl3pq2mkq42o

Last edited by Tom Davis on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Davis

Re: Christmas already?

Postby greyfox73 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:09 pm

Nicely done, Tom! I really enjoyed this! You mentioned over at the Northern Sounds site you seldom use double reeds, especially the Oboe and the English Horn. If you have GPO4, might I suggest try using Oboe 2 Modern Solo and English Horn Solo 2. I really love the sounds of these more than any of the others. Also, with the Bassoon, there's a way to add vibrato which can sound natural. If you want to know how that's accomplished, I can you show how that's done.

As for Mr. "Mike the Troll," pay him no mind whatsoever. He obviously has "0" music background and I've already reported him to those who run this site. Hopefully, he will soon be banned from this site as well as the Northern Sounds site. He's not worse responding to.

Gary

greyfox73

Software Owned:
GPO4, JABB3, COMB2, World Instruments, Instant Orchestra, Garritan GoFriller Solo Cello, Garritan Orchestral Strings, Garritan Stradivari Solo Violin, Finale 2011, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Re: Christmas already?

Postby Tom Davis » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:22 pm

Thank you, Gary.

I have written quite a bit for the bassoon and oboe, but not the English horn. In larger works I usually combine celli with the bassoons. That results in the celli being the dominant sound, highlighted by the grittier bassoon beneath. Not always exactly what I am looking for. So any information you have about the bassoon vibrato would be very appreciated.

I will definitely look at the Oboe 2 Modern Solo and English Horn Solo 2. For this last effort I merely used the first player of each.

I should point out that I compose almost totally by point and click rather then with a music keyboard. That can be limiting in several respects - especially with Instant Orchestra.

Thank you again.

Tom

Tom Davis