MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Share your creative content with the Garritan community

Postby Caithlynn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:19 am

[ Sorry ... removed, I have to rework it ]

Last edited by Caithlynn on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Caithlynn

Re: Mourning Moon

Postby Fabio Biolcati » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Caithlynn.
I miss some key change here and there and sense of development.
And more rhythmic contrast among melody and accompaniment.
It's a nice tune. My advice is to work on it, then work on it, then work on it, then work on it, then work on it, then work on it, then work on it, then work on it, then work on it, then work on it…
Keep us posted as it progresses!

Fabio Biolcati

«Being Italian is a full-time job»
Fabio Biolcati

Software Owned:
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
VSL Special Edition strings and woodwinds
Notion 3
Finale 2010
IK CSR Hall Reverb

Postby kingfreeze » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Caithlynn: The production work is fabulous, very professional, clear and precise. I agree with Fabio's statement. Your song is a I-VI-IV-V progression in C major. It could be more harmonically interesting if you had thrown in a III harmony, or created a B section, maybe III to VI. Also, don't be shy to add extensions to harmonies. All your major and minor chords here could be Maj (Add 9, 11, 13, ect.) as well as the minor harmonies. Remember, in diatonic western harmony, there are only 3 chords, major, minor, and dominant, no matter how many extensions are added, diatonic harmony will be one of those chords. (ex. E7#9#5= dominant). good luck.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Caithlynn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:56 pm

Last edited by Caithlynn on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caithlynn

Postby kingfreeze » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:29 am

No problem, Catihlynn. I have received a huge amount of assistance in this forum.
Musical Theory, is an endless train of thought, but, let me clarify, and take that most basic concept of music theory, and apply it to your progression I-VI-IV-V
Your song is in C major. The voicing you used for the I chord, probably is spelled 1-3-5-1. Let's lay out that major scale of C
C D E F G A B C
you may know that 9=2, 11=4, 13=6, dig ? So the 9 in the key of C would be 2 (D). I am a guitarist, and will use voicing's as I see fit, If there is a large ensemble, and I substitute an (add 9) chord for a major chord, I might play only 1-9-3, and leave the 5 out. If I play solo, and need more extensions, it might be 5-1-5-9-3-5, same deal, basically. So , we are talking about only the first chord, C major.
Here's an example, of how you could dress up that basic I-VI-IV-V progression. Coincidentally, I did a recording for a songwriter a couple of years ago. He had a scratch track for his song that was basic "cowboy" chords, as guitarists say, and the song was largely I-VI-IV-V. I needed to dress up those harmonies. The song started out with a IV-V progression, and when the singer starts, it is a I-VI-IV-V progression, until the end of the verse where it plays a IV-V to turn around to the top of the verse. Are you with me ? Here's the song.
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski/t ... side-of-me
At the vocals, I played C, as a 6th chord (yes, a 6th chord is a major chord), voiced 3-5-6-1. I played Am as 3-5-6-7 (a C maj 7 voicing which would sub for VI), the IV chord is voiced 9-3-4-6 (an Fmaj9 chord, G-E-F-A), and the V chord, I made it an (add 9) chord, G add 9, voiced 6-7-9-5. The numbers are in C, if I spelled those chords the way they pertain to the real spelling of the chords as independent units, it would be
C6= 3-5-6-1 (e-g-a-c)
Cmaj7= (subs for VI)= 3-5-6-7 (e-g-a-b)
Fmaj9= 9-5-1-3 (g-c-f-a)
G (add 9)= 9-3-5-1 (a-b-d-g)
You could use the voicing's above to dress up your progression, because it's the same thing.
My first experience with using finale, with garritan libraries was on this song, so I wrote 3 inserts in the song the audio engineer used. This file enters the song at 1 min 21 sec.
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski/l ... 1-jan-2015
It also is just a collage of the same progression, just using notes that fit the progression, I-VI-IV-V. Of course, voice leading is important. But in a nutshell, that's it.
I hope this makes sense and helps you some, play with the voicing's I spelled out here.
good luck.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW