MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Would love some feedback for my tracks

Share your creative content with the Garritan community

Would love some feedback for my tracks

Postby Eric Labrie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Hi there

Here are 2 tracks made entirely with GPO4. I would like to hear what you think of them. Thank you :)

https://soundcloud.com/eric-labrie-composer/vilain

https://soundcloud.com/eric-labrie-comp ... eme_master

Eric Labrie

Software Owned:
Logic pro 9
GPO4
EWQL-SC
PSP vintage warmer II
PSP Xenon
Arturia synth
Melodyne
Melda bundle

Re: Would love some feedback for my tracks

Postby kingfreeze » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi eric: Your composition sounds "epicy" enough. A little more info on your track, please. Are you exporting audio files from finale and then posting on soundcloud ?

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Eric Labrie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:27 am

epicy?? don't know that term haha. I write and mix in Logic pro 9. I have to keep working on CC11 automation to get it exactly as I want, thought. I have a hard time understanding how to manage portamento with GPO, too. But overall, I wanted to had some feedback to see if I was in the right path :)

Eric Labrie

Software Owned:
Logic pro 9
GPO4
EWQL-SC
PSP vintage warmer II
PSP Xenon
Arturia synth
Melodyne
Melda bundle

Postby Eric Labrie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:30 am

Oh and the tracks has been mastered, too. Don't if it's a common practice in orchestration, but in those modern day of loudness war, it's practictly a must...

Eric Labrie

Software Owned:
Logic pro 9
GPO4
EWQL-SC
PSP vintage warmer II
PSP Xenon
Arturia synth
Melodyne
Melda bundle

Postby kingfreeze » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Eric: I went back, and listened to your tracks again, to see if my initial impression was correct. The compositions sound real good. The tracks through my speakers sound high ended and distorted somewhat, and I think if you post these tracks in any film forum you will either receive no response, or the same as my response. I am no expert, but I have been using finale for a year, and entered the world of using a DAW, as was recommended to me in this forum by Michael B. He uses sonar x , I believe. I chose Reaper, and the learning curve using the aria player in reaper was very difficult for me. But, after 4 months, I am starting to get the hang of it. When I listen to the initial files produced from finale, then to my recent mixes from reaper, there is a huge difference in clarity and quality of sound. I listened to one of your mixes on sound cloud, then one of mine on sound cloud through the same speakers to verify what my ears told me. I don't know anything about logic, is it a full featured DAW ? You did ask for feedback, and my first statement is my impression, I think you need another go at refining the composition. I have been re mixing and compaing everything I have composed, and I hear a marked difference in the quality of audio. The good news is, in here and in the reaper forums, the process of doing the same thing you are trying to do is well documented (if you used reaper). Also, Michael B is an expert on using sonar DAW. As I posted my initial compositions in film forums I got a lot of negative feedback, quoting bad sample libraries, no eq, no mix, bad reverb, so forth. So, I am trying to use a DAW, and I think it's working. Good luck.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby drumroll » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Hello Eric and Welcome!
I think I hear a some of what Steve is getting at. I think mostly it is in the "Villian" track in the brass. If you are using the Sam brass then it can get too edgy when you push it and sound distorted. Try blending with some of the standard brass instruments to soften yet still give you the punch your looking for.

I also think that your wall of sound is maybe too much, if there is such a thing, maybe it is just a personal problem with me (please don't take offense to anything I'm saying). I really like Sparticus! The ear needs a rest even with giant action sequences. So maybe add a few areas where you die down and then swell again. Let it breath. Just a thought.

So, I thought I would post this link for everyone looking for that "movie" sound. I am not affiliated with them but WOW! If you try to imitate what they are doing and matching their sound, then I would say you're on the right track. I use them for samples when I am trying to write in a specific genre. I am linking the 'Director's Cuts" but you can check out their site for other cool stuff.
https://www.extrememusic.com/search?q=%22director%27s%20cuts%22

Keep up the good work! I look forward to hearing more!

Best,
Paula Douglas

drumroll

Software Owned:
GPO4
IO
Finale 2009

Postby Eric Labrie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks guys :) I'll take a more carefull listen to the brass section. It's possible they distort a little. I like to push them hard to get that gritty tone but I probably do it a little too much. For the wall of sound, I understand what you're talking about :) I should first work a little more my movement to get some rest and, another point is that I mastered the track the modern way (push everything hard as hell) so it's possible I get some trouble there, too. Maybe too much saturation. I'll take a look at the SAM brass and probably blend them with regular brass and cut a little bit of the highs. This should be enought.

Again, thanks for the comment. I think it's really positive and it's encouraging :)

Eric Labrie

Software Owned:
Logic pro 9
GPO4
EWQL-SC
PSP vintage warmer II
PSP Xenon
Arturia synth
Melodyne
Melda bundle