MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Luna's Lullaby

Share your creative content with the Garritan community

Luna's Lullaby

Postby kingfreeze » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:02 pm

http://m.soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski/lunas-lullabye

Written for our cat. I used every trick I learned here on this. All gpo 4.

Everywhere you go...there you are !
https://soundcloud.com/steve-wisnoski
kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
Garritan personal orchestra 5
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Re: Luna's Lullaby

Postby kingfreeze » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:26 pm

I went back through randy and michaels posts, and read very carefully about eq, positioning, using compression, ect. This was supposed to be a simple ditty, but instead took a lot of time and consideration. I believe the eq made a big difference. I do have questions regarding this. Basically, I went to each instrument in the aria player, and turned "on" the eq, then toyed with the eq while listening to the instrument "solo". Is this what Randy was talking about ? I believe a lot of pieces are falling into place. I know there are fast ways to manufacture music. I am using simple entry method, and making every decision. Thoughts ?

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby kingfreeze » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:12 pm

I posted this in Deniz Hughes forum, and you may remember her speaking of "bad mixing and samples ". This Song is my first attempt eqing the individual instruments using the aria player, and I am reading about using stereo stage as far as stage positioning. She keeps referring to "the mix". I suppose I am missing something. I also need to understand audacity more, I normalize like Michael suggested, but unsure how to use the compression, even though I have read randys tutorials on this several times. How hum...what's a girl to do?

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby drumroll » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:45 pm

So I didn't want this to go by without comment but I was hoping MichaelB would chime in first since he is the guru with Finale. I mix down in Digital Performer so I don't know what kind of quality Aria and Finale are capable of. I think this is a cute piece. I enjoyed the polyphony and thought the mix was very good compared to most coming straight out of the box. I have to say I couldn't get my cat, Toby, to pay much attention but that's not to say that he didn't enjoy it. :D

I'm hoping that MichaelB will swing by soon because his comments are very useful. I know Randy is working hard on his Karloff project but maybe he will appear again too.

Nice piece and I look forward to hearing more. I think you are making great strides with the software.

Cheers!
Paula

drumroll

Software Owned:
GPO4
IO
Finale 2009

Postby kingfreeze » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:48 pm

thanks, Paula ! I too am missing Michael B, he has taught me a lot. He had spoken about daws in another post. For now, I have been reading some on audacity. Randy has quite a blog on mixing and using compression in here. I am so impressed you played it for Toby. I had noticed cats like quiet piano in the upper register, so I used that and Celeste as an experiment. When kitty is in the semi conscious mode, is when they appreciate music the most. best of luck. A little catnip doesn't hurt either.

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:48 pm

kingfreeze wrote:thanks, Paula ! I too am missing Michael B, he has taught me a lot. He had spoken about daws in another post.

Hello Steve,

I'm still here and thanks for the vote of confidence there. :D I'm really pleased you found some of my posts helpful.

drumroll wrote:So I didn't want this to go by without comment but I was hoping MichaelB would chime in first since he is the guru with Finale. I mix down in Digital Performer so I don't know what kind of quality Aria and Finale are capable of. ..... I'm hoping that MichaelB will swing by soon because his comments are very useful.
Cheers!
Paula

Hello Paula and it's great that you also have found some of my comments useful. I know of a few of our members who produce excellent recordings just through Finale although, of course, Finale was never designed to offer the mixing and mastering features of a fully fledged DAW. In the same way, no fully fledged DAW offers the same notation features of Finale. This is why I have the best of both worlds .. Finale, a superb notation editor and Sonar, a superb DAW.

I prepare my scores in Finale then, when ready, I move my score, via MIDI, into Sonar. Having spent years using just Finale, it was one heck of a learning curve moving into A DAW .. not for the feint hearted methinks. ;) Having said that I'm so pleased I made the investment now.

kingfreeze wrote:I went back through randy and michaels posts, and read very carefully about eq, positioning, using compression, ect. This was supposed to be a simple ditty, but instead took a lot of time and consideration. I believe the eq made a big difference.

The use of EQ and Compression is such a subjective topic. My own view is that less is more. I will only use these when absolutely necessary. I know that vocals automatically are a candidate for compression but even here I tread cautiously .. just my own take on this of course.

Steve, I haven't mentioned your cat recording. We have two cats here, one black, one white. I played your track whilst one was curled up on the top of a computer tower and the other was stretched out on the carpet. They just blinked, yawned, stretched then went back to sleep. ;) I'm sure they enjoyed it. I certainly enjoyed listening and you continue to improve your recordings.

Thanks for posting. :)

Michael

Michael.B

Postby kingfreeze » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:30 pm

thank you for listening, Michael. And playing the song for your "puddies". I have a friend who is a concert pianist, and I noticed when I played a particular "tinkly" piano track, kitty would always respond as if she enjoyed it. It was quite funny, it always got a reaction when played, she's not much one for TV, but she does enjoy SOME music. Usually quiet, upper register keyboards. This was an experiment for her (kitty). Deniz Hughes, the film score lady I spoke of earlier, said of the song that the song was too slow, I said "Puddie likes it @ 72 bpm". Har....

kingfreeze

Software Owned:
Finale 2011 print music
World instruments
Reaper DAW

Postby Michael.B » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Hello Steve,

kingfreeze wrote: ..... Deniz Hughes, the film score lady I spoke of earlier, said of the song that the song was too slow, I said "Puddie likes it @ 72 bpm". Har....

Nice one, the cat likes it so there .. what the cat likes goes .. :D

I don't think I'd better get started on the so-called 'Holywood' sound so keep true to your music Steve, and your quest for realism in your recordings. You perform your music as your creativity directs.

All the best,

Michael

Michael.B