MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Surf may be up- testing a backing track (Pipeline)

Share your creative content with the Garritan community

Surf may be up- testing a backing track (Pipeline)

Postby KMFrye » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Just for fun, I wanted to see how JABB would work when used as a backing track for guitar music - in this case, surfing tunes from the 60's.

SO I put this together in Finale using JABB instruments. All you need is a twangy guitar and you got a built-in surfin' band...

https://app.box.com/s/l23hnlumw08lgv1s1eax

I hope...

Last edited by KMFrye on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KM Frye
BVStudios
Composer, Arranger, Performer
Living on the Wild, West Coast.
current work- "Culloden:1746", an oratorio, using
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
PM since 2001, Finale 2014.5,
Garritan Personal Orchestra IV
Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3
Reaper DAW

Re: Surf may be up- testing a backing track (Pipeline)

Postby rbowser » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:12 pm

oops--Your link is wrong, Kevin. This one takes me to My Box account - ?!

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby KMFrye » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 pm

rbowser wrote:oops--Your link is wrong, Kevin. This one takes me to My Box account - ?!

Randy

Link fixed (I think). It was a little odd, it sent me to the right place.

KM Frye
BVStudios
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
Reaper DAW

Postby rbowser » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:48 pm

KMFrye wrote:...Link fixed (I think). It was a little odd, it sent me to the right place.

I've seen that happen before - I can't recall exactly what the story is, but when one of the incorrect links is used, it can take other Box users to their own accounts. The link worked for you, because it's your account.

BUT - that new link doesn't work either - The MP3 player appears, but it doesn't move when Play is clicked. Just now I checked to make sure everything's OK on my computer - It is, the other Box links I tried just now worked.

--?

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby KMFrye » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 pm

It does that to you also... sigh. It worked so well on the Christmas tune, but I am about ready to give up on Box.

I've put eight or nine songs up since our Garritan Christmas album and only one has worked the way it's supposed to.

Meantime, the download link does seem to work.... I'll leave it up for the next 23 hours or so, then take it down and try something new.

KM Frye
BVStudios
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
Reaper DAW

Postby rbowser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:01 am

Kevin - I've figured out why your Box posts don't play! You don't need to give up on Box, you just have to understand how it works. Info on all that below.

But first - I've heard this backing track for "Pipeline" and think it's great, ready for that twangy guitar to twang and whammy bar its little heart out. Really fun - You play guitar?-or will you be using a virtual instrument? - Right now this backing track is totally dry - Once you have some studio ambiance in there, the whole thing will work just great.

NOW - Here's the story about your Box posts, and there are still some unknowns here. You may be able to figure out what the missing parts of this analysis are:

--What you posted isn't an MP3. I know the file extension is .mp3, but this is definitely a Wave file.

I knew it had to be a Wave because when I went to download it this morning, I saw the file size of 36.08 MBs--! That's huge. The average quality MP3 of this would be more like 3 or 4 MBs.

I downloaded and had a look in Sound Forge. Here's a comparison between your file's data and that of an actual MP3 of approximately the same length:

"Pipeline" file data:

36.08 MB

File Type:
Wave

Audio format:
Uncompressed

Comparison file data (actual MP3):

9.34 MB

File type:
MP3

Audio format:
MPEG Layer-3

NOTES: Obviously the real MP3 is much smaller, but I use the highest settings when I make MP3s, worried about damaging the sound quality too much. I use an Audio Bit Rate of 320, but most people use settings much lower, 128 being the average. So, as I said above, a 3 minute piece like these could actually be more like 3 or 4 Mbs.

THE BIG QUESTION:
How are you making your MP3s? What program?-- Whatever it is, either the program is screwy, or your settings are wrong- Because your file is definitely a Wave, not an MP3.

ONE BIG ANSWER: Wave files can't be played at Box without the user having a paid account. You apparently have a free account, so Box is restricting you to MP3s which call for a lot less bandwidth to play. I pay $5 a month, have lots of storage space, and can have .wav files streamed - though I choose to keep using MP3s since they take up less space and play fine on the internet for most visitors. I've used Box for quite a few years now because it's extremely reliable.

THE LINK PROBLEM:
Why your original link was incorrect is a mystery to me. As I said in my previous post, that happened to me at least one other time when someone posted the wrong Box link and it took me to my own account.

When you replaced the link, you obviously used one of the two correct routes for getting the link: Middle arrow button to the right of a file>Share>Get Link>First link that appears in the pop-up window. OR, click "Share" to the right of the file, and the same URL shows up in the pop-up.

If you instead use the Direct Link, that would give you the URL of the MP3 itself. You may want to try using that, once you have actual MP3s to post. The Direct Link takes people to a new tab in their browser, displaying nothing but a generic MP3 player instead of taking them to the Box page. You've probably noticed other people using that kind of link.

Direct Links are also what you need to display pictures online, but that's also a service only available to people with paid Box accounts, since hotlinking to images uses bandwidth.

HERE'S AN MP3 OF YOUR "PIPELINE": In Sound Forge, I made an actual MP3 of your file from the Wave file and I'm uploading it directly to this post as an attachment. I used the highest Audio Bit Rate like I always do, 320 Kbps, and so the file size came out at 8.19 MBs - very large for an MP3. But still, compare that to your .wav file's 36 MB. As noted above, the lower quality settings would get you an MP3 of around 4 MBs, and the quality would actually be fine.

"Pipeline"(fixed)

This Forum has a maximum size of 5 MBs for uploaded attachments, otherwise I would have attached the MP3 to this post.

FINAL NOTE- re: SAMPLE RATE - The Sample Rate of your file is actually lower than what I use. You have it at 44.1 kHz, which is used by most people. But it's something else I keep at a higher rate in the interest of maintaining the best quality. I use 48 kHz, as I do for my original .wav masters. If your file had been done at 48, the MP3 would be closer to 10 MBs in size.

The Bit Depth (different than Bit Rate) has to be at 16 bit for an MP3 - no other depth works. So while I work at a Bit Depth of 32 when I'm mastering my .wav files, the MP3 copies I make from those masters have to be at 16 bit.

There you go. At least part of the mystery is solved. Maybe you know why your initial link was the wrong one - And maybe you can take a look at what you're using to make MP3s and figure out why they're not coming out right. If so - I'd be interested in the info!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby KMFrye » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Randy- thank you for all this. I don't know how it happened, but somehow, the original file I put up (three times!) got messed up and didn't convert when I ran it through my SHUANG's converter, despite coming out with the .mp3 appendage. I completely missed the size issue, so now I will watch for it.

I just re-ran the initial WAV file through the same converter and it came back at 3.14mb this time, a much more reasonable size, and one that does work in Box (I tested it).

My process to get from concept to Box was simply to write the arrangement in Finale, leave it fairly 'dry' for future mixing, then export the Finale File directly as a WAV. Once the WAV was done, it was converted through Shuang's (free) WAV converter to Mp3 and posted on Box. What's up there now is the results of me re-running the same process with a fresh 'export' from Finale- successfully this time.

Just for fun, I also added an older track of The Last Farewell which I have used in shows for a few years now. It too is a little on the dry side, but as it normally runs through a PA system, I've learned that not adding a bunch of reverb and echo "before" the house mix is better in the long run. Like Pipeline, it's down to a fairly small size.

Yes, I play guitar, even have a big ole Gretsch in my inventory. A demo is in the planning stages that will include a few songs on the Gretsch, so they should "twang" nicely, but it needs new strings very badly, so I won't be uploading a finished version for another week or so.

(edit): I also just uploaded a version of Bizet's Carmen(Overture) that I have been working on as a bit of a labor of love. My mother "was" Carmen in Vancouver in 1948, and got some of the best reviews of her career. As a result, I grew up with the opera pretty much built in to my DNA, but at the same time hating it because it was "Mom's music". However, the overture has always been a fave, and I thought I would take a whack at seeing how "realistic" I could make it sound using Finale and Garritan. So what I just put on Box is the result so far.

The score has so many expressions added that it would be largely unplayable to a real orchestra, but I think I am getting there.. If you have the time, I'd be very interested in your thoughts (and those of anyone else who cares to chime in, of course!)

Thanks!
K

KM Frye
BVStudios
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
Reaper DAW

Postby rbowser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:13 pm

um-- Now your link doesn't work at all, Kevin. It takes me to a page that says:

"This shared file or folder link has been removed"

So --

I want to hear your "Carmen" overture. And I'd like to hear the "Last Farewell" track - Do you mean you put them both in the same folder as "Pipeline"--? If so - why? If you put each piece of music in a different folder, it's much better for yourself and people using your links--once you get links working! 8-)

You need the Lame MP3 converter. It's the standard free MP3 converter because it's the best. You use Reaper - I'm surprised you don't have it, because in their manual they explain that if you want to make MP3s, you should install Lame. Here's just one of the many places where you can download that:

Lame Converter

Since the converter you're using has failed several times, even making a file with an MP3 extension which was actually still a .wav file - I highly recommend you get Lame.

You said your last conversion was successful - 3.14 MBs. Yeah, that's about the size of the average quality MP3, as I said in my earlier post. I recommend you use higher settings though, like the version of "Pipeline" I posted on this thread which was made at the highest quality settings. Your music deserves it.

Now - Go check what your link really is for this - And I hope you move the other pieces into their own folders and post their links on separate music threads here in the Media Room!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Harps

Sundry soft synths:

Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Postby KMFrye » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Randy- let's try this. I have so much to learn, but this should work for you...
https://app.box.com/s/upguq0gcq1e0ihqy5nzo
That's the Carmen piece

https://app.box.com/s/ugn1u3gxa3jzc1qjvdmx
Should be the Last Farewell..

I hope!

l

Last edited by KMFrye on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KM Frye
BVStudios
Finale 2014.5
GPO 4
JABB3
World
REAPER DAW
KMFrye

Software Owned:
Reaper DAW

Postby rbowser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Kevin - The link in your first post is still not working. Your new links are opening, but not to where they should take your visitors. Don't link to the folder where the MP3 is parked, but link directly to the MP3 itself. When you want to get the URL for posting an MP3, open its folder. To the right of the file, the MP3, the middle button is an arrow. Click that, click Get Link - copy the URL that shows up in the pop-up. That's the link that will take people to a page where the MP3 player is already loaded and the file is ready to play.

And now please don't bury these two pieces, Carmen and Last Farewell on this thread. Somebody who wants to hear your surf music track isn't going to be looking for totally unrelated music links on the same thread -- And, - well, as established, the subject MP3 of this thread still has a broken link.

!!

Wanted to let you know about all that tonight in case you check messages again - I'm in a hurry to do something else, but I'm looking forward to hearing your music tomorrow. I just hope you start individual threads for each piece - This Forum needs more music posted, but not hidden where nobody can find it!

Randy

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626