MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

First Garritan Attempts

Share your creative content with the Garritan community

First Garritan Attempts

Postby JOEANDTHEREVOLUTION » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Hello Garritan users! I am a noob to this forum, however I am excited to be in communication with the elite Garritan minds of the world! I wanted to post my first attempts at creating music using the Garritan sound libraries. One of them is a Christmas tune that I arranged ( sorry, a little late!) and the other is an arrangement of the Kingo Hymn 'On My Heart Imprint Thine Image" ( I went to a Lutheran college, so one of my joys is arranging chorales! ) I try to arrange them in different styles, so feel free to take a listen and see what you think.

As far as what I used -JABB3 for the first tune and mainly GPO4 and World Instruments for the Kingo tune. I truly believe that World Instruments has the most to offer out of all the libraries, especially the percussion samples included. I have had the most fun experimenting with the different sounds that are in World Instruments.

I created these songs all in Finale 2012 and then mixed in Audacity ( which actually worked pretty well ) . There was a lot of extra work that I had to do because I created the tracks in Finale, instead of a DAW, being that Finale is mainly meant for notation purposes. I have recently purchased FL Studio 11, and I am STOKED to start using it. I will hopefully be able to post more samples here after I learn the ropes in FL a little more!

https://soundcloud.com/joeringen/i-am-so-glad-when-christmas

https://soundcloud.com/joeringen/on-my-heart-imprint-thine

JOEANDTHEREVOLUTION

Software Owned:
The following Garritan Sound Libraries:
Classic Pipe Organs
Concert and Marching Band 2
Harps
Instant Orchestra
Jazz and Big Band 3
Personal Orchestra 4
World Instruments

Notation Software:
Finale 2012
Finale 2014

DAW:
Fruity Loops Studio 11

Re: First Garritan Attempts

Postby rbowser » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:56 pm

Hello, "Joeandtherevolution"--I've been looking forward to adding a post to your thread, because I really enjoyed the tracks you posted when I heard them on Friday, and again this morning.

I have no difficulty saying these are very impressive as "First Garritan Attempts" - and they would be equally impressive even as NOT first attempts.

There's a sophistication to your jazz/world/percussive-centric style which is very enjoyable to hear. After listening, and staying glued to the music and being very entertained, I understood something better that you have in your text:

You said that you find Garritan World has the most to offer you. I thought that was an unusual thing, since for the majority of people, GPO has the most to offer since it has all the instruments of the orchestra, making it an essential Library set for most composers.

But then, as I said, I listened to your music and understood better what you were saying.

I want to suggest you look into Instant Orchestra also, since you like percussion so much. It has banks of "cinematic" percussion that people who enjoy writing gaming and soundtrack type music are finding very useful.

As you get into using FL Studio, I think you may come up against some challenges - I hope you use this Forum to get advice and help from fellow users of that program. It's not one of the most widely used DAW programs, like Sonar or Cubase, and from posts I've seen over the years, it seems like FL Studio presents users with some unique issues to sort out.

THANKS for the music - welcome to the Forum - Hope we see you here often!

Randy

Garritan Organs demos of all 75 stops

"Dorian Gray"

Hardware:

Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser

Software Owned:
ARIA Player v1.626
ARIA Engine 1.665
GPO4
JABB 3
COMB 2
Instant Orchestra
Garritan World
Garritan Classic Pipe Organs
Garritan Harps
Garritan Authorized Steinway
Garritan Stradivari solo violin
Garritan Gofriller solo cello

Sundry soft synths:
Dimension Pro, EZDrummer, over 50 others

Sonar 8.5 (have but don't use Sonar X1)
Sony Sound Forge 10
Sibelius 7

Video editing: Cyberlink Power Director 11

Postby Michael.B » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:48 am

Hello Joe,

I missed this for some reason.

Anyway, I agree that for a first attempt you have done well.

I'm not at all familiar with FL studio so it will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Michael.B

Postby JOEANDTHEREVOLUTION » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Dear rbowser and Michael.B,

Thanks for the support and the kind words! I will definitely keep you posted with my workings in FL studio. And I will also look more into the instant orchestra collection - great tip!

Thanks again!

JOEANDTHEREVOLUTION

Software Owned:
The following Garritan Sound Libraries:
Classic Pipe Organs
Concert and Marching Band 2
Harps
Instant Orchestra
Jazz and Big Band 3
Personal Orchestra 4
World Instruments

Notation Software: