MakeMusic
SmartMusic Finale Garritan MusicXML

Lyrics - to which note does syllable belong?

Moderator: Michael Good

Lyrics - to which note does syllable belong?

Postby Mogens Lundholm » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Again and again I have the problem of how to place lyrics in the music. Some songs have no repeats but e.g. three lines of text - then you know there are three verses. Other songs specify repeats and therefore the syllables of lyric-lines should be coupled to repeats. Many have both verses and repeats and evens nested repeats. (and segno and coda - I am just sitting with a Beatles songbook with nested repeats, segnos and codas).

A single number is not sufficient to tell where the lyric syllable belongs in the music.

It is quite simple to fix this in the next version of MusicXML:
The lyric number can be specified as this:
"x.y.z" where x is the verse number, y is the outer repeat and z is an inner repeat. E.g. the number "3.2.1" specify third verse, second repeat and first inner repeat. If there is no inner repeat just "3.2" is sufficient and if no repeats at all "3" is OK. A zero could mean "all".

I don't know how to address this - whether somebody does not like the solution. The result in the MusicXML_file could be:
<lyric number="3.2.1">
but it could as well be:
<lyric verse-number="3" repeat-number="2" inner-repeat-number="1">

The important thing is to get a solution on this problem. So that lyric text can be put the right place in the music. What do you think?

Kind regards
Mogens

PS: Both Musescore and Finale gives a warning specifying this line - but reads the file:
<lyric number="2" verse-number="3" repeat-number="2" inner-repeat-number="1">
Mogens Lundholm

Re: Lyrics - to which note does syllable belong?

Postby Michael Good » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Am I understanding correctly that this is mainly for positioning lyrics for playback during repeated sections? Such as adding lyric events at the right place in a standard MIDI file?

If that is the use case, then I think we could do this by adding a time-only attribute to the lyric element like we do for other elements. If you agree, could you please add this as an issue at the W3C Music Notation Community Group's GitHub site for MusicXML?

If I am misunderstanding something here, please let me know.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good

Postby Mogens Lundholm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:52 am

Yes, exactly - I want to position the lyrics in the Midi stream(Meta-Event FF 05 ..). My player writes the song text and an arrow shows current position while playing.

Until now I have thought in verse-numbers and repeat-numbers. But of cause we could instead think of which time a note is played. The time-only attribute will require a counter and a max value for every single note when converting to Midi.

Regards
Mogens
Mogens Lundholm

Postby Mogens Lundholm » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:20 am

Added it as an issue on W3C. Proposed to add it to note.mod:
schema/note.mod
<!ATTLIST lyric
number NMTOKEN
name CDATA
+ %time-only
%justify;
%position;
%placement;
%color;
%print-object;
>
/Mogens
Mogens Lundholm

Postby Michael Good » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:51 am

Thank you, Mogens! I have added a comment there and marked it in progress and in scope for MusicXML 3.1. This is issue 151 at https://github.com/w3c/musicxml/issues/151.
Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.
Michael Good